Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Part 1: How Covid Has Shaped Our New Reality

December 17, 2020

With Christmas break around the corner, families are eager to start vacationing. However, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Covid cases are rising at an alarming rate, with the total number of deaths in the United States at 302,992 and counting. In light of this information, families are faced with the dilemma to either stay home for the holidays or safely continue their initial travel plans. 

“3 months ago, COVID-19 was not even in the top 75 causes of death in this country. Much of the last month, it was the #1 cause of death in this country. This is more remarkable than the 1918 Flu pandemic,” according to Michael Osterholm, expert in infectious disease epidemiology.

Due to the gravity of COVID-19, for the past ten months people have had to adjust to a life of face masks, hand sanitizing, social distancing, and Covid testing for the sake of protecting themselves and others from getting infected by the virus. These procedures have since been normalized, forcing many to adapt to this new reality in their personal, academic, and work lives. Despite the universal understanding that physical health is paramount, there is plenty of dissension around what is considered “safe” for one’s physical health in regards to traveling. 

Jesuit Chronicle • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in