New Faculty Spotlight: Ms. Stamper

David Reynaud

More stories from David Reynaud

David Reynaud

Stamper joins the World Languages department for the 2021-2022 school year.

Ms. Natalie Stamper will teach French II, French III, French III Honors, and French V AP starting in fall of 2021. Ms. Stamper has taught for over 15 years at Lewis and Clark College, prep schools, middle and high schools, and a World Languages nonprofit. She’s excited about getting to know the community at Jesuit.

“I’m very excited about the community that I’m just now getting to learn about. I’m very excited about working with the students, and I’m excited about my department, and the exchange of ideas with my fellow World Language teachers. I’m excited to try new things,” Stamper said.

Stamper is passionate about the outdoors and gardening, and enjoys spending time with her family and friends outside, alongside being a connoisseur of puns. She’s an outspoken proponent of creativity and freedom in writing.

“[Working] at a world languages nonprofit together, and one time I [asked], ‘What do we do with this, what’s the policy?’ and she said, ‘You know, we’re just making this up sometimes as we go along.’…sometimes things aren’t written down, and things aren’t decided… It gave me the freedom and the ability to make a creative answer,” Stamper said.

Transcript. Lightly edited for clarity.

How long have you been teaching?

“So I’ve been teaching for 15+ years.”

Where did you teach prior to Jesuit?

“So, at Portland I taught at Lewis and Clark College, teaching first and second year students and prior to that I taught at University Prep at Seattle. And I taught one middle school    class and high school for the rest of the month.”

Which classes are you teaching this year?

“So this year I’m teaching French II, French III, French III Honors, and French V AP.”
What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?

“I’m very excited about the community that I’m just now getting to learn about and getting to know people. I’m very excited about working with the adolescent students, and I’m very excited about my department, and about the exchange of ideas with my fellow World Language teachers. I’m excited to try new things.”

What is something the community should know about you?

“I tell very bad jokes and puns, and my delivery is awful. I also love gardening, and I love being outdoors with my family and friends.”

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? 

“I’ve been thinking about this, actually, I think one of the best pieces of advice I’ve gotten is, my friend Erica when we worked at a non-profit world languages organization together, and one time I was like, ‘What do we do with this, what’s the policy?’ and she said, ‘You know, we’re just making this up sometimes as we go along.’ And while that was a piece of advice that was kind of shocking to hear at the time, it was something that was really important to hear because sometimes things aren’t written down, and sometimes things aren’t decided and policies aren’t made. It gave me the freedom and the ability to make a creative answer, and being able to write something and have that become policy. I think that was a really great piece of advice.”