New Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Price, Theology Teacher

Dr.+Price+joins+the+Jesuit+community+as+a+long-term+theology+substitute+teaching+Hebrew+and+Christian+Scriptire.+

Astrid Foster

Dr. Price joins the Jesuit community as a long-term theology substitute teaching Hebrew and Christian Scriptire.

Dr. Price joins the Jesuit community teaching Hebrew and Christian Scripture as a long-term sub for Mrs. Salzwedel. 

He is excited about this opportunity because he is familiar with the subject matter, having a PhD in Hebrew Bible from UCLA. He has always wanted to teach at the high school level and believes Jesuit is an excellent place to start. 

“I think you can build better, deeper, more influential relationships with students at the high school level,” Price said. 

Before coming to Jesuit high school he taught at UCLA, Portland State, and George Fox University. 

Dr. Price also looks forward to making meaningful connections with his students inside and outside the classroom. When he is not spending time with his two daughters he would love to both talk about and participate in sporting events as a self proclaimed basketball and football fan. 

How long have you been teaching? 

I have been teaching for about, I guess you would say 5 or 6 years now. 

And you’ve been a long time sub at Jesuit? 

Just this year, previously I was teaching in the college classroom, I tought as UCLA and Portland State, and then some graduate students at George Fox just down the road. That’s where most of my teaching experience has been. 

What classes will you be teaching this year? 

So I’m just subbing for Mrs. Salzwedel in Hebrew and Christian Scripture. 

What is the most exciting part about teaching at Jesuit?

Honestly the subject area, I’m passionate about that subject area. I got a PhD in Hebrew Bible while I was at UCLA so to be able to lean into my expertise and try to make it meaningful to students at Jesuit. 

What is something you want the community to know about you? 

I guess I would hope that they would find me approachable, always happy to be approached by anyone to make a friendship and discuss something, whatever someone wants to discuss, happy to oblige. I have two daughters, a 4-year old and a 1 year old. So they take up a lot of my mental space and a lot of my free time as well. That’s pretty much it. I grew up in Oklahoma so I’m not a native portlander but I guess that’s one thing you can know about me. Also always willing to chat sports. I’m a pretty big NBA, college basketball, I love basketball and football as well. 

You will fit right in at Jesuit then. 

Fantastic! 

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

Well I tend to have a personality that kind of lives by cliches and old adages and in that respect the best old adage I’ve had is just be true to yourself and not everyone has to like you. 

If you like being a sub at Jesuit, are you looking to come back? 

Yeah or for a full time position. I taught at the college level but I have sort of always been attracted to high school instruction because I think you can build better deeper more influential relationships with students at the high school level and I’ve also found that high school teachers take pedagogy and instructional lot more seriously than what you tend to encounter at the  university level you know you have all these experts running around you know at least half or more of their focus is on whatever research project they are working on so they are not quite as dedicated to the craft of pedagogy as high school teachers are and that’s something that I’m really sort of passionate about and interested in. So I would love to make the transition full time and especially it would be great here at Jesuit because just in my few short weeks here it’s been some amazing colleagues and incredible students so it’s a wonderful learning community.