New Faculty Spotlight: Ms. Wulf, Marketing and Communications Specialist

Ms.+Wulf+joins+the+DeSmet+office+to+work+in+marketing+and+communications.+

Clarinne Kirk

Ms. Wulf joins the DeSmet office to work in marketing and communications.

Ms. Alysa Wulf is the new Marketing and Communications Specialist at Jesuit, having started in fall of 2020. At Jesuit, Ms. Wulf will work behind the scenes, cultivating Jesuit’s online image and communicating messages from Jesuit to students, parents, and alumni. Prior to working at Jesuit, Ms. Wulf recently graduated from University of Oregon and completed various internships during her time in college.

Having graduated from a Catholic high school herself, she is familiar with the missions of a Jesuit school and is excited to work for a school that prioritizes serving the community. 

“I really stand by Jesuit’s mission of being women and men for others and acting in service towards our community. So, working somewhere with a strong mission, that was really important to me,” Wulf said.

After starting her time at Jesuit virtually, Ms. Wulf is excited to start the new school year in person and finally experience the Jesuit community for herself. 

It’s been great getting to meet people face to face,” Wulf said. “I’m really excited to get to know all the students and other faculty and staff better and help give back to the community.”

Full Interview Transcript (edited for length and content)

How long have you been in communications? 

I’ve been in Public Relations for almost seven years counting college and including internships I did during school. I studied public relations at the University of Oregon and graduated in 2020. Then, a few months after I graduated, I started working here. I’ve been working professionally for about a year and a half and I’ve been working at Jesuit since November.

Where have you worked prior to Jesuit?

In college I worked for Metro Regional Government as a Legal Intern doing communications for the attorneys working in their legal department. I also did an Internal Communications internship at Providence health and services, working for the 20,000 Providence employees in the Oregon region. I also worked at A.wordsmith, a small PR firm located in Portland. 

What will your roles at Jesuit be this year?

I am the Marketing and Communications Specialist. My job is to manage our school website and social media and to send out any emails to the community. I also help out with our fundraisers and campaigns, including Financial Aid Live, Changing Lives Together, and Day of Giving. Lastly, I also help design marketing materials and work with the Spirit Store. 

What excites you about working at Jesuit?

I went to St Mary’s Academy for high school, so I’m very familiar with the Catholic school world. In fact, that was one of the best experiences of my life. I wanted to come back into the world of Catholic education and do in-house Public Relations, because I prefer it to the firm life. Also, I really stand by Jesuit’s mission of being women and men for others and acting in service towards our community. It was really important to me to work somewhere with a strong mission. Jesuit seemed like a really fun, exciting place to work where there’d always be a lot to do. And, I liked the idea of being back in the high school environment and getting to help young people.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? 

To really trust yourself, what you want to do, and what’s best for you. People give great advice and tell you the kind of the paths they foresee you taking or what they think might be best for you, but in the end, listen to yourself. It’s important to take others’ advice into consideration, but ultimately you have to do what will make you feel the happiest, most successful, and most at home in what you’re doing. Whether it’s in a class, an extracurricular, or a job, you must trust your instincts and follow your passions.

What is something the community should know about you?

I’m really excited to be at Jesuit and I’m so glad that I’ve already gotten to meet so many people. I’m excited that we’re all back on campus together as the first part of my job here was remote and over zoom. It’s been great getting to meet people face to face, and I’m really excited to get to know all the students and other faculty and staff better and to help give back to the community. 

Editor’s Note:

This article was updated on 9/29/21 for clarification.