Are Dances Possible? – What Students Can Expect Dances to Look Like This Year

Seniors Eliza Collins, Josie Balish, and Lucy Langer walk down Mary’s Way into Prom on May 15, 2021.

Jesuit Photography

Since March 2020, Covid-19 has wreaked havoc on the lives of high schoolers, canceling events, restricting their social lives, and limiting school and recreational activities. Among those canceled activities: school dances.

Due to Covid-19 the last school dance held at Jesuit High School was Prom, held on Cronin field, on May 15, 2021.

As we approach the end of October, students are speculating as to whether or not they will have a dance at all this year.

According to the School Health Advisory for Continuity of Instruction released by the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) and the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) on October 1, 2021, “to the extent possible, schools and other organizations should reduce extracurricular activities. If schools and other organizations proceed with extracurricular activities, they should consider holding them outdoors and implementing additional precautions like face coverings and physical distancing.”

The School Health Advisory for Continuity of Instruction goes on to state all family events should be held outside, making sure all participants wear masks and are physically distanced. 

Due to these guidelines, it is unlikely any dances will currently be held fully indoors as they were pre-pandemic.

Events like Freshmen Fun Night and Sophomore Fun Night, however, are still entirely possible. 

Rather than gathering inside for a typical dance, students gather on one of Jesuit’s fields to enjoy games, food, and spending time with their peers. Masks are still required at these events.

“It was lots of fun,” sophomore Elle Genor said. “There were a lot of people there and there was a bounce house, jenga, and churros!”

Additionally, events such as Jesuit’s Prom of 2021, where juniors and seniors gathered on Cronin field to enjoy live music, desert, and socially distanced dancing could be an option.

Other high schools throughout Portland and Beaverton have taken the newly released guidelines into consideration as well.

Sunset High School is holding Homecoming on Saturday, October 9th, on their football field. 

“Homecoming is western themed,” Sunset junior Adam Helm said. “It’s outside and masks are required.”

Similarly, Valley Catholic is holding Homecoming on Saturday, October 23 on the grass field behind the school. 

As the ODE and OHA continue to release statements, guidelines and restrictions may shift. Dances similar to those pre-pandemic, although unlikely at this time, may still be possible as the year progresses.