Wordle: The New Captivating Word Game

Clarrine Kirk

The starting screen for Wordle allows six trys to guess a five-letter word

A new word guessing game is piquing students’ interest: Wordle.

A five-letter guessing game in which the player guesses the word and slowly eliminates letters until a letter either turns green, yellow, or gray. Green indicates that the letter is correct and in the right spot. A yellow letter indicates that the letter is in the word but not in the right spot. A gray box tells players that the letter is not in play for the word they’re guessing.

Jesuit students have offered high marks to the game.

“I think it’s a great game,” senior Noelle Furnanz said. “I wish they had it more than one day. I don’t think it’s distracting because I’ll make two guesses and then I will let it marinate.”

Many other word games have been created off Wordle that have unlimited words. For example: Byrdle.

Although the game is popular among students, teachers are not quite informed on the effects of the trend.

“I know nothing about Wordle,” Dan Falkner, English, Photography, and journalism teacher said.  “Two of my students really enjoy it in [Journalism] class and it appears that they use letters and letters can be important to language which evidently helps their writing.”

Overall, the mystery of Wordle is unfolding but one fact is for certain, said senior J.J. Gray.

“[Wordle is a] super fun game,” Gray said. “[It] turns your brain on and gets you excited about school. I think if you do it during class then some teachers don’t like it [Wordle] but I think it helps your learning. Wordle makes you think about words, kind of like membean. Maybe teachers should have students do Wordle every day.”

“Wordle is not an alternative to Membean,” says Falkner.