New Teacher Q&A: Ms. Barklund

Ms.+Barklund+is+a+new+student+teacher+at+Jesuit+working+with+Mr.+Reinhardt+for+the+2022-2023+school+year+

Julian

Ms. Barklund is a new student teacher at Jesuit working with Mr. Reinhardt for the 2022-2023 school year

Linnea Barklund is a new student teacher working alongside Mr. Reinhardt in the English department. She has taught a few semesters of college writing at Mary Baldwin University, but is excited for the opportunity to teach at a secondary level.

“I really am excited about the academic rigor that the school encourages and develops. And the community aspect of everything is really wonderful,” Barklund said.

A new teacher, Barklund understands the struggle of maintaining a healthy work/life balance. She advises students in the Jesuit community to practice this life of wholeness.

“[Do] the things that you need to do and that you care about, but also [find] time for you and [do] things that relieve stress and make you happy.”

Barklund looks forward to engaging with the Jesuit community. Eager to connect with the freshman class, Barklund enjoys talking about her three cats and claims that sharing in her love for felines is the best way to break the ice.

Full Q&A:

Hi, my name is Juliana Kromminga and I’ll be interviewing:

“Ms. Barklund.”

And can you spell Barklund for us?

“B a r k l u n d.”

So how long have you been teaching?

“Well, being a student teacher, I’m very new. I did teach a few semesters of college writing a few years ago, but as far as secondary level this is my first experience with it.”

Where have you taught prior to Jesuit?

“Where have I taught?”

Yes.

“I taught at Mary Baldwin University. I taught freshmen.”

Where is that?

“It’s in Stanton, Virginia.”

Were you born on the East Coast?

“No, I was born in the Midwest. I grew up mostly in Idaho, spent some time in Maine, and then after high school I moved around a lot and ended up in Virginia.”

Awesome, what classes will you teach this year?

“I will be teaching the freshman English courses, starting with period three and then moving on to all of Mr. Reinhardt’s freshman classes.”

What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?

“I really am excited about the academic rigor that the school encourages and develops. And the community aspect of everything is really wonderful.”

I agree, what is something that the community should know about you?

“Oh, gosh, that’s a good question. Can we come back to that one?”

Yes, what is the best piece of advice you ever received?

“I have some. Mostly versions of ‘don’t say yes to everything and maintain a good work/life balance.’ Like, just like finding and doing the things that you need to do and the things that you care about. But also finding time for you and for doing things that like relieve stress and make you happy and that sort of thing.”

And then what is something that the community should know about you? It can be like a fun fact or…

“You know what, I’m just gonna go with the tried and true. I have three cats and I’m always interested in talking about them. I mean, so if you want something to like, break the ice with me, we can talk about cats.”

Awesome! Thank you so much for your time.