New teacher Q&A: Mrs. Holman

Lauren Butorac

Holman will teach Algebra 2, Honors Algebra 1, and Triggs Functions and Stats at Jesuit this year

Sarah Holman will teach Algebra 2, Honors Algebra 1, and Trig Functions and Stats at Jesuit this year. She has taught for 17 years, starting her teaching career in Anchorage, Alaska, and has much experience from multiple previous schools. Holman speaks about her love for teaching.

“I’ve always loved teaching. It’s the only thing I’ve ever really wanted to do. I think that’s because not only do I enjoy helping students make sense of things, but also, it’s different every year. You get a new group of students you get to know so it’s always challenging in a different way.” Said Holman

When Holman is not teaching students at Jesuit, she values spending quality time with her family and staying active.

“Outside of working, my priority is spending time with the family. And then the other thing, both as a family and individually, I love to be active.” Said Holman.

As an educator and in her day-to-day life Holman has taken advice from a teacher she had in high school.

“It’s important to remember who you are, who you’re trying to be, and how you’re portraying yourself out and into the world and making sure that you are being the person you want to be” Said Holman

Full interview transcript

How long have you been teaching for?

“I’ve been teaching for 17 years.”

Where have you taught prior to Jesuit?

“I’ve actually gotten to do gotten to be at a few places. So I started my teaching career in Anchorage, Alaska. My husband was from Alaska. So we got married here in Oregon and then moved there for the first couple years. Then we moved back down to Oregon, and I was at Century High School in Hillsboro for 10 years. And then I took some time off after my son was born. And so I been in a few different places just trying to find a home again. So I was at Jesuit for a couple of years and a temporary role and then I was at Lake Ridge and now I’m back here I Jesuit”

What classes will you teach this year?

“This year? I have Algebra Two, Trig functions and stats and Honors Algebra One”

What excites you about teaching?

“Um, well, what excites me about teaching at Jesuit in general is the community here and the focus on service. And in terms of teaching, I mean, I’ve always loved teaching. It’s the only thing I’ve ever really wanted to do. And I think that’s because not only do I enjoy helping students kind of make sense of things, but also it’s, it’s different every year you get a new group of students you get to know so it’s always challenging in a different way.”

What is something the community should know about you?

“There’s lots of little random tidbits I could throw at you here and there. I don’t know the the most important things in my life right now are my family. I have a relatively large Well, it’s probably not that large actually. But all my siblings live in the area. All my siblings have kids, so we like to try to get together as much as we can. So while the cousins can play, I have a son. He’s five. So outside of working. My priority is spending time with the family. And then the other thing, both as a family and individually, I’d love to be active so my husband and son and I will go for bike rides or hikes or walks. I go to the gym almost every day. So I just like to keep busy. Stay active.”

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?

“So I had a teacher in high school that had lots of isms, right? We call them Beeler isms because her name was Beeler. And one of the things that’s stuck with me the most over the years was, remember who you are and what you represent. And I just think that’s a really important thing. As a person, as a student, as a professional, as a coach, as an athlete, in pretty much every aspect of life. It’s important to remember who you are, who you’re trying to be, and how you’re portraying yourself out and into the world and making sure that you are being the person you want to be”