New Staff Q&A: Mr. Masuda

Mr. Masuda is a new teacher at Jesuit this year who will be teaching two sections of pre-calculus and two sections of Algebra I. He has been teaching for 13 years and prior to Jesuit, he taught at Portland State University and Mt. Hood Community College. Mr. Masuda is a very positive and fun teacher who enjoys how engaged the Jesuit students are.

“The students are motivated so it’s easy to get along with it, coming from teaching at universities. I like the energy that I get from students,” Masuda said.

Along with teaching math, Mr. Masuda has a passion for baseball, so he hopes to be involved with the Jesuit team.

Mr. Masuda also shared the best piece of advice he ever received.

“The best advice that I’ve gotten from my parents and my former teachers is that it’s okay to fail. It’s okay to not be the best, but still try your best,” Masuda said.

Full Interview Transcript

How long have you been in teaching?
“I started teaching in 2010, so 12 years. This year will be my 13th year.”

Where have you taught prior to Jesuit?
“Prior to Jesuit, I taught at Portland State University, and I also taught at Mt. Hood Community College.”

What classes will you teach this year?
“This year, I’m teaching three sections of pre-calculus and two sections of Algebra I Trig, not honors, just a regular Algebra I Trig.

What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?
“I think what excites me about teaching at Jesuit, I mean the students are motivated and it’s easy to get along with it, coming from teaching at universities. Yeah, I like the energy that I get from students. In college classes, everybody is kind of quiet and, you know, I like the energy that students bring.”

What is something the community should know about you?
“I think at that assembly I talked about the axe throwing, so apparently I’m a good axe thrower. I also play baseball and I’m hoping to be part of the baseball team, and I ride motorcycles.”

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
“That’s a tough question, but the best piece of advice I think is the school motto, just do the best, anything you do. I think that’s probably the best piece of advice. You know, you don’t have to be good or excellent at everything. But like, whatever you do, like trying your best. I think that probably the best advice that I’ve gotten from my parents or my former teachers, is that it’s okay to fail. It’s okay to not be the best, but still try your best. That’s probably the best advice I’ve ever received.”