New Teacher Q&A: Jeanne Kennedy Hermann

Maxwell Kluherz

Mrs. Hermann is a learning specialist, and will teach freshmen seminar and magis.

Jeanne Kennedy Hermann, new learning strategist, will teach Freshmen seminar and Magis starting in fall of 2022. She’s been teaching since she graduated college at Gonzaga University, and this school year marks her 17th year as a classroom teacher. Most recently, she taught at All Saints Catholic School, but is now looking forward to bringing her expertise to Jesuit.

“I think a standout feature of teaching at Jesuit is that you get to know students personally, and get to know more than what’s going on academically with them,” Hermann said.

Hermann also has a son currently enrolled in the junior class, and two daughters who have graduated from Jesuit. Furthermore, she wishes to make connections with her students, and learn about them outside of school.

Mrs. Hermann also shared some of the best advice she had ever heard. She received this advice from a Jesuit at Gonzaga University.

“I was at a crossroads of what direction to go in my studies and he said, ‘Go where things are happening,’” Hermann said. “That’s always something I’ve drawn on when I had a decision to make.”

Full Interview Transcript (edited lightly for length and content)

How long have you been teaching?

I’ve been teaching since I graduated college, but this is my 17th year as a classroom teacher.

Where have you taught prior to Jesuit?

I’ve taught in three different states, and most recently was teaching at All Saints Catholic School.

What classes will you be teaching this year?

This year I’m teaching three periods of freshman seminar and two periods of magis

What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?

I think a standout feature of teaching at Jesuit is that you get to know students personally and you get to know more than just academically with them.

What’s something the community should know about you?

I have a current student in the junior class, my son Neil, and two daughters who are graduates of Jesuit High School.

What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received?

The best piece of advice I’ve ever received was from a Jesuit when I went to college at Gonzaga University. I was sort of at a crossroads of what direction to go in my own studies and he said, “Go where things are happening,” and that’s always something I’ve drawn on when I had a decision to make.