New Faculty Q&A: Father Krouse

Eamon McDonagh

Fr. Krouse will teach French 1 and Freshmen Faith Formation the year.

Father Jack Krouse will teach both French 1 and Freshmen Faith Formation this year. This will be his 7th year as a teacher, previously teaching at Loyola High School in Los Angeles and Sacred Heart Nativity School in San Jose. Fr. Krouse is excited to see the school spirit on display this year at Jesuit.

“I think especially this year, after the experience of the last few years with the pandemic, to feel the spirit and the energy that is here at the start of the year. I am looking forward to all the other projects and academic exploration we can do,” Krouse said.

Fr. Krouse has been a Jesuit for 12 years, studying in the United States and other countries throughout the world. He is looking forward to bringing his cultural and academic experience into his teachings.

“I look forward to bringing all of those experiences that God has given in diverse corners of the world and in many academic and cultural settings to get to know the culture here, and this community full of life and full of hope,” Krouse said.

Full Transcript (edited slightly for clarity)

How long have you been in teaching?
I first started teaching seven years ago at Loyola High School in Los Angeles, but part of that included going back to school myself, theology studies.

Where have you taught prior to Jesuit?
Loyola High School in Los Angeles, and then Sacred Heart Nativity School in San Jose.

What classes will you teach this year?
This year, I am teaching French 1 and Freshman Faith Formation.

What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?
I’ve always heard so much from other Jesuits and others who’ve known Jesuit High School, the spirit, the school’s history. I think especially this year, after the experience of the last few years, with the pandemic, to feel the spirit and energy that is here at the start of the year. I am looking forward to all the projects and academic exploration we can do.

What is something the community should know about you?
It’s been an amazing journey over twelve years as a Jesuit, following where the lord has led, both here in the United States and in other countries. To come to the northwest, Portland, Jesuit High School, I look forward to bringing all of those experiences that God has given in diverse corners of the world and in many academic and cultural settings to get to know the culture here, and this community full of life and full of hope.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
One thing that comes to mind is the words of Jesus, ask and you shall receive, seek and you will find, knock on the door and it shall be answered to you. So to summon the courage to continue seeking what’s most important and what’s most valuable to you.