Mr. Griffin starts new role as Athletic Director

Eric Schumacher
Mr. Griffin is the new Head Athletic Director at Jesuit High School, now in his 9th year as part of the Jesuit community.

Mr. Griffin is the new Athletic Director at Jesuit, formerly serving as the assistant athletic director and power training coach.

Griffin started at Jesuit in the fall of 2014 as the head baseball coach, a position he has held for all his years at Jesuit, and assistant JV football coach. Griffin continued coaching JV football eventually becoming the head JV coach in 2021.

Griffin will be taking on a new challenge this year becoming Athletic Director at Jesuit

“I am the athletic director, so I oversee all of our 22 varsity sports including all the sub levels of every single sport. My job is to just kind of support the programs, to make sure that they have everything they need and that they’re in compliance with OSA rules,” Griffin said.

Every one of those 22 varsity sports that Griffin oversees has at least one coach, and often many assistant coaches. Griffin helps guide them through what makes Jesuit athletics special.

“Jesuit has an incredible tradition of athletics… our coaches work really hard with our athletes to help them become better athletes but also connect them with our mission of Jesuit,” Griffin said. “I’m so excited about continuing what makes Jesuit so strong and that is the teaching and education.”

Full Transcript

How long have you been at Jesuit?

“I started in the fall of 2014 as a head baseball coach and assistant athletic director and then the very next year I became a full time assistant athletic director and power training PE teacher.”

What roles have you had at Jesuit?

“Assistant athletic director, I used to teach power training from the fall of 2015 all the way to the spring of 2023. I’ve been an assistant JV coach and then in 2021 became the head JV football coach and I’ve been the head baseball coach my whole time here.”

Can you describe your new role at Jesuit?

“I am the athletic director, so I oversee all of our 22 varsity sports including all the sub levels of every single sport. My job is to just be there as kind of support to the program to make sure that they have everything they need and that they’re in compliance with OSA rules, work with the boosters, which Jesuit’s versions of boosters are all the concessions. We have concessions at soccer games, football games, basketball games, track events, lacrosse games, baseball, and softball games. Then we put on the boosters for some tournaments, like Twilight relays and CYO track meets.”

What are you most excited about in this new role?

“What am I most excited about? I mean Jesuit has an incredible tradition of athletics here. And, you know for the outsiders looking in a lot of people think we just kind of roll out the balls, but our coaches work really hard with our athletes to you know, help them become better athletes but also connect them with our mission of Jesuit and with what the kids are hearing in the hallways and classrooms. And so I’m excited about continuing what makes Jesuit so strong and that is the teaching and education and the guidance to help our coaches continue the success and potential.”

What challenges do you perceive for this new role?

“There’s a lot going on here. I joke about it all the time that you can be here for an hour and there’s somebody here working with this. There’s people here. The school is so committed to whatever their role is that they do and they do it with their best agents and we truly believe in that. And so some challenges I have in this role is to not let little things slip through the cracks because if you start being okay with that, that’s just something that’s really little, it doesn’t matter. If you keep doing that then things can fall apart really quick. So my challenges are making sure that I can see the big picture and the big things what’s going on, but it’s really the behind the scenes small details that keep judgment moving forward, and successful direction.”