Monster performance from Johnson on special teams, Crusaders roll Beaverton 58-0

Hudson Rommel
#2 Elias Johnson speaks with his coach on the sideline before entering the game.

On Friday night, the Jesuit Crusaders rolled Metro league rival Beaverton Beavers to the tune of 58-0 behind Elias Johnson’s two punt return touchdowns and 55 yard touchdown reception.

The win brought the Crusader’s record to 5-4 with a chance now in the first round of the OSAA playoffs to defeat the Lake Oswego Lakers, who they will face off against this Friday, November 3 at Cronin Field at 7:00.

Jesuit kicked the ball off to Beaverton to start the game, but quickly punted to Jesuit. Jesuit would then follow, punting the ball back to the Beavers.

When they received the ball back, Jesuit wasted no time getting on the board as quarterback Treynor Cleeland completed a 55 yard bomb to Johnson for a touchdown. Cleeland (6-7) finished the game with 149 passing yards and a touchdown.

When Beaverton received the ball back after the Crusaders touchdown, they were not able to get their offense going and were forced to punt yet again. Johnson would return the Beaverton punt 42 yards to the house for a touchdown. The Crusaders now led 14-0.

The Crusaders defense was a dominant force throughout the entire game, only allowing 170 yards of total offense. Getting the ball back quickly after a blocked punt from junior Kevin Keanaaina.

Lonnie Burt soon capitalized on the big play from Keanaaina with a 67 yard rushing touchdown, boosting the score to 21-0.

Burt would finish with another massive game rushing for 150 yards and three touchdowns, continuing to make his case as the best running back in the state.

Elias Johnson would soon follow with a 58 yard punt return touchdown, as the Crusaders began to pull away with the score being 28-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The same story would continue in the second quarter as the Jesuit defense would force a punt in nearly every Beaverton possession.

Burt rushed for two touchdowns in the second half, for 6 and 12 yards. The second half ended with a Beaverton safety due to the ball being snapped out of the end zone. Jesuit led 44-0.

The Second half slowed down for the Crusaders as they mixed up their rotations on both sides of the ball, going deeper into their depth chart.

Running back Julius Christensen scored the lone touchdown in the third quarter with a 6 yard run. Christensen finished the game with 60 yards on 7 attempts.

Even with second and third string defensive players now in the game for the Crusaders, they allowed minimal offense to be produced by the beavers and still held them to zero points.

With the score now 51-0, the Crusaders slowed the pace down and resorted to the run game to run down the clock.

After multiple possessions of scoreless offense, junior Dominic Locati put the finishing touches on a blowout victory with a 1 yard rushing touchdown.

With Jesuit clicking on both sides of the ball and the Beavers never figuring it out on the offensive side of the ball, this game quickly became out of hand and the Crusaders were able to roll over beavers 58-0.

_____________________________________________________________________
UP NEXT:

Jesuit, now ranked number eight in the state rankings, will begin their run in the OSAA playoffs against the number nine Lake Oswego Lakers this Friday, November 3 at Cronin Field at 7:00.