Forde returns to counseling after Mr. Barry’s departure

Jesuit High School
Ms. Elaine Forde will be taking over for Mr. Barry after his sudden departure from the counseling department.

Following Mr. Barry’s October departure, former Jesuit faculty member of 25 years Mrs. Elaine Forde has returned as a student counselor (last names A-Dj, grades 10-12)

Forde started her journey in education by obtaining a bachelor’s degree in teaching at Oregon state, and began teaching high schoolers math and home economics.

Forde became interested in counseling and eventually earned a master’s degree (in school counseling) at Portland State University.

Forde worked as a counselor for 9 years at Clackamas High and moved to Jesuit during their second year of being coed.

Along with the challenge of being one of the few female faculty members at Jesuit, Forde also entered the school at a time where the position of counselors was new to students. Welcoming these obstacles, Forde became involved in various aspects of the community.

Alongside serving Jesuit as a counselor, Forde assumed the position of activity director and Dean of Students and Activities. Forde helped to create the diversity (now DEI) program, and created new student activities including Coffeehouse, mock trial, robotics, and a multitude of other clubs. Additionally, Forde has led numerous encounters and orientation days.

After four decades of work as an educator, Forde decided to retire to take time to rest and take care of her health, focusing on her passions outside of school.

One of her main hobbies, Forde is a part of a dragon boat racing team supporting breast cancer survivors, and she even traveled with her team to a competition in Florence Italy.

Growing up in a small town, Forde strongly values her time with her family, and enjoys traveling. She frequently attends her great nieces volleyball games, and visits her nephew at U of Oregon.

After some time off, this fall, Forde decided that she wanted a change in scenery. When Mr. Powers asked if she would be interested in coming back to counsel at Jesuit, Forde accepted.

Forde is excited to connect with new students, meet new and old faculty members, and explore new facets of Jesuit’s renovated buildings.

“I like to listen, offer ideas, and help the student figure out a problem. Because if I figured out the problem for them, they don’t take any ownership in it,” Forde said. “I want them to be able to empower themselves to go out and figure it out and then move on from there.”

Mrs. Forde is available 8-1 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. While she prefers milky ways and snickers, she also has an assortment of other candy available for students at her office.

“Whether it is a little issue, or a big issue, a time to vent, a need to help find tutoring. Whatever needs that they have, I’m here to support students,” Forde said.