Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Club Spotlight: Women in Sports

Jesuit Media
Women’s soccer celebrates a goal.

The Women in Sports Club held their first meeting of the year during Flex on Tuesday, October 24th, hosting Jesuit’s new Assistant Athletic Director, Falisha Wright.

Ms. Wright was an exceptional basketball player at San Diego State University, is in the SDSU Hall of Fame, and played professional basketball for several years. With wisdom and humor, Ms. Wright shared her keys to success as an athlete and a high school administrator.

This year will be the third since its founding in 2021 by Jesuit graduates Tessa Randall ‘23, Avery Edwards ‘23, and Mason Young ‘23. The club is currently led by Lucy Maddocks ‘24, Quinny Handley ‘25, Taylor Stalick ‘25, Audrey Bayless ‘25, and Gigi Abernethy ‘25.

Over the first two years, the Club worked with Jesuit’s administration to increase support of women’s sports and address inequalities protected by Title IX.

For example, Club members advocated to bring the women’s locker rooms up to an equal level of quality with the men’s. Jesuit added floor mats to the women’s locker rooms to reduce slipperiness and painted and refreshed the women’s A team lower locker room.

Additionally, the club established a new program to boost attendance across all sports: The Crusader Companions. This program partners varsity teams to support one another by requiring attendance at a minimum of three regular season games and all playoff competitions of the companion team.

The leaders of this year’s club are eager to continue the vision set by the founding members. Club leader, Taylor Stalick says, “We are excited to continue the legacy and work to create positive change for women’s sports.”

Goals are to continue to increase support for women’s sports at Jesuit, determine solutions to address any inequalities, and encourage male students to be involved in Club activities.

Specifically, members will continue to address quality differences between locker rooms, find ways to ensure female athletes feel comfortable in the male-dominated weight room, and increase attendance at and media coverage of women’s sports events at Jesuit.

Having Ms. Wright at Jesuit ensures the Club has an advocate in the administration and an inspiration in the halls. Club member, Lindsey LaChance ‘25 says, “It was great to finally meet Ms. Wright, I feel comfortable coming to her with any of my problems.”