Season Preview: Men’s Basketball

Margo Delaney
Men’s varsity basketball kicks off the season against Jefferson High School at Jefferson on December 1st.

Men’s basketball is only a couple days away from a new season in which the Crusaders will look to win their first state title since 2019.

Last year, the Crusaders’ second round playoff exit came after a 16-10 regular season led by longtime coach Gene Potter. Jesuit ran into the eventual runner-up West Linn Lions, losing 89-64 to end their season.

Running their patented motion offense for the majority of the year, seniors Isaiah Crane and Cade Collins were the two main options on offense. After graduating and heading to their respective colleges, they leave Coach Potter with a young but determined squad.

Seniors Nico Rafalovich and Tyler Curvy as well as junior Patrick Kilfoil are the only returning players on the team, leaving them a large task in leading an inexperienced Jesuit roster to a successful season.

In September, the OSAA officially announced a rule change, resulting in the addition of a 35 second shot clock. Previously, high school teams were able to swing the ball around the perimeter for as long as they pleased, creating longer possessions and fewer buckets.

This year, that changes. The “holding for the last shot” strategy has run its course, and the change will prove to be a factor in the closing stretches of games.

“I don’t think [the shot clock] will come into effect too much except for the end of quarters and games of course. We’re not going to worry about it too much,” Coach Potter said.

Despite the new changes this year, some things stay the same. Coach Potter returns for his 31st season. His coaching staff has adjusted slightly, with previous scout Gavin Amato jumping into the assistant coach position alongside Coach Feest and Coach Rolph.

“We have some experienced seniors back. Lots of minutes played from Tyler Curvy and Nico Rafalovich, and we’re expecting them to step up and be leaders. We’re looking forward to a lot of good things this year,” Potter said.

With a revamped roster and only three returning players along with big changes in the rulebook, Jesuit is left with some large overhanging questions in their play style and how they will approach certain matchups. They hope these questions can be answered off of determination for improvement as well as some new talent coming into the program.

Freshman Issac Bongen, standing at 6’3” and already receiving two scholarship offers from both Portland and Portland State, looks to give Jesuit an extra boost heading into the 2024 season. Along with Bongen, sophomores Joe Stimpson, Ryan Barone, and Quinn Wicklow will be trusted to take their leap into the varsity spotlight.

Jesuit’s young core and familiar game plan will be proven in the inaugural weeks of the 2023-24 season. They start their year against the Jefferson High School Democrats. The Democrats, which has produced star-studded talent in the NBA including Terrence Ross, Terrence Jones, and current Houston Rockets head coach Ime Udoka, will challenge Jesuit in many areas during the season opener.

As for Jesuit’s game plan?

“Just taking care of the ball and then rebounding,” Potter said. “[Jefferson] is pretty athletic traditionally, so if you don’t take care of the ball it’ll usually result in two points on the other end.”

Jesuit faces Jefferson on the road at 7:00 PM on Friday, December 1st followed by back- to-back home games against Lake Oswego and Central Catholic on both the 5th and 8th.