Everything You Need To Know For Forecasting

Ana Casado

With forecasting approaching, freshmen, sophomores, and juniors must choose what classes they will be taking for the next school year.

When choosing what classes to take, students must take into consideration various aspects of the classes of their choosing, whether that be workload, previous experience needed, class environment, etc.

To get student perspectives on classes at Jesuit, Jesuit Media polled over 40 students regarding a specific class they are taking this year or have taken in the past.

The students were asked to share their opinion on the class. First they shared their “Need To Know’s”, which refers to things students should before deciding to take the class. Then they were asked to share their favorite part about the class.

Keep in mind this is one student’s unfiltered opinion. If you feel you are in need of more information, reach out to the teacher, your counselor, or peers who might have taken the class as well. Or, you could check out the forecasting overview page on Jesuit’s website.

Each class is categorized in its own academic area: Fine Arts, Media, English , Physical Education, Mathematics, Science, & History.

FINE ARTS

Drama & Theater
Feedback from Senior, Carissa Gerung

The Need-To-Know’s

“The workload is pretty light, but apparently it’s going to pick up soon since we have to memorize lines. From the first semester I basically didn’t have homework, but I would just have to prepare for some video recordings, etc… This class is a mix of games (movement and verbal) and also lectures where the teacher talks to us and we just take notes and discuss”.

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part about this class is that I get to learn about the tools of the actor, such as the body, voice, and imagination. I really like how we can utilize these drama tools in different situations like public speaking or persuasion, and I think it is very useful. This class is also a great way to learn how to not take yourself so seriously, and how to not be embarrassed when you’re in front of an audience.”

Music Production
Feedback from Senior, Aidan Smith

The Need-To-Know’s

“This is a super fun project driven class that doesn’t involve much homework. It mostly involves learning music concepts in class and applying them to various projects. The class is well paced and easy to pick up regardless of previous experience.”
Favorite part about the class:

Favorite part about the class
“I love the freedom that is given to work at your own pace and put your own spin on things. The class is all about creativity.”

Cantoria Choir
Feedback from Junior, Olivia Ossowiski

The Need-To-Know’s
“It’s mostly a participation based class, so it is a relatively easy workload and doesn’t tend to have any homework. If we do have homework it only really takes 15 minutes or less. We do have some outside of school participation, since we have four concerts a year on campus but after school hours. We also perform at the Grotto’s Festival of Lights each December and attend a treble festival at St. Mary’s after school one day in the fall.”

Favorite part about the class:
“My favorite part of this class is being able to have a break in the day to not do academic school work.”

Chamber Choir
Feedback from Sophomore, Molly Kennedy

The Need-To-Know’s
“There is rarely homework but you will almost always be working really hard in class. You will need to be coachable because Ms. Caldwell gives feedback and constructive criticism on how the choir can do better. Each song and performance we work on is very much a team endeavor so you should be open and excited to get close with your classmates. You will find so many new friendships and feel yourself improve simply by singing for an hour every day. Out of school participation consists of performances, extra morning rehearsals, team-building events, and some super fun trips. You’ll need an understanding of how to sight read, be willing to get past nerves, and you will have to jump in and try your best every day because you’re part of a team.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of class is the connections I’ve made, and that no matter how rough of a day I’m having, walking in and seeing a room of supportive, friendly people who make me laugh can fix it all.”

Symphonic Band
Feedback from senior, Ethan Strong

The Need-To-Know’s
“If you’ve been playing for years it’s really fun and easy. But if it’s your first year in the class it might be a little tough.”
Favorite part about the class:

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class is sitting with all my friends, doing something I love, and improving along the way.”

Concert Band
Feedback from sophomore, Carter Solosmon

The Need-To-Know’s
“This class is a fine arts class in which you will learn and play concert music with your classmates as part of a band. There is little official homework, although it is recommended that you practice over the weekends and breaks. Everyone in the class is expected to participate in pep band, where we support the Jesuit football and basketball teams while building community together. Mr. Hoffman walks the band through a variety of songs over the course of the year, guiding and teaching along the way (although you do have to have some background knowledge of the instrument you choose). If you love music and dislike homework, this class is a great stress reliever! To anyone who likes music, I would highly recommend this class!”

Favorite part about the class
“The Awesome friendships I’ve made!”

Jazz Studies
Feedback from Senior, Dom Dolan

The Need-To-Know’s
“Jazz Studies primarily focuses on improving your skills as a musician through practice and dedication. By participating in Jazz Studies you will have the opportunity to perform in front of many different audiences, allowing you to share your passion with family, friends, and the greater community. Just like any other band class, this one will require some practice outside of school, but other than this homework is extremely rare. The class starts early at 7:00 am and takes place four times a week. Being in the Jazz band also allows you to participate in Pep Band, which performs during all home football and basketball games. Personally, Jazz Studies is a serious contender for my favorite class at Jesuit. I have been a member of the Jazz band for all four of my high school years and I would continue for four more if I could. Most of the people I have met in the class are now my closest friends and truly outstanding musicians. Jazz Studies is not well suited for beginners but if you are interested in rapid improvement and a community of dedicated musicians then there is no class that I can recommend more highly than Jazz Studies.”

Favorite part about the class
“My absolute favorite part of Jazz Studies is how it strikes a balance between being a serious band class while at the same time being incredibly fun. Over the span of four years I have seen dramatic improvement in ability and understanding of musical concepts. I have had the chance to venture outside of my comfort zone and discover a whole world of music that I may have otherwise never found. The experience I have had in Jazz Band has inspired me to play more often and even pursue performance opportunities outside of the classroom.”

String Orchestra
Feedback from junior, Sadie Chapin

The Need-To-Know’s
“String Orchestra is centered around advancing skills in stringed instruments and working with classmates to practice and perform pieces of music. Along with songs played by the entire class, we practice in quartets (smaller groups) that are split up around skill. Throughout the year there are several concerts and competitions that we participate in. There is a good bit of commitment outside of school, however the dates are posted well in advance. Practice is not required every night but you are expected to come to class being familiar with the piece and ready to rehearse. The class is graded on participation rather than skill so it is super important to come prepared and on time everyday.”

Favorite part about the class
“I enjoy string orchestra because it’s a really fun way to get to know people. It definitely has a strong community feel and people are encouraging and welcoming. Because of the different skill levels it offers a cool opportunity to learn from and teach other students. It’s a great way to make friends and I really like having a class in my schedule that is not constantly making assignments or having tests.”

Art I
Feedback from sophomore, Agamya Guhal

The Need-To-Know’s
“Art I is a really fun class to give you a break from your hectic day as a high school student. It’s a fun class filled with community and creativity. The workload is pretty light, all I have been assigned outside of class are my weekly sketchbook drawings that take about 20 minutes. It’s actually a pretty fun assignment. It’s also a very hands-on class with a lot of teacher support. If you feel like you aren’t good at art that okay, your teacher is there for you and it’s a class for beginners”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class is how flexible the class is and how much creativity is a part of it”

Art II
Feedback from sophomore, Gavin Werts

The Need-To-Know’s
“The requirements for the entire art II class are very chill as it only includes 1 prior year of art at Jesuit.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part is the classroom culture we have built. In my eyes everyone can express themselves and strengthen bonds with one another. Art is unlike any other class because everyone there is there for purpose not obligation”.

Art III
Feedback from Junior, Han Tran

The Need-To-Know’s
“Art III is mainly a project based class. You get a good chunk of time to work on your pieces and the workload is not too heavy if you know how to manage your progress. We are given a weekly sketchbook, which we have class time to work on. It usually takes me around an hour to work on them at home since I don’t work on them in school. Be ready to experiment with a lot more materials and mediums! We explore a lot more in Art III and get more liberty with our prompts.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part about this class so far has been the bigger projects. Art III gives me more freedom to make my own creative decisions in my pieces so I have enjoyed the process.”

MEDIA

Advanced Media Production
Feedback from senior, Kiley Feller

The Need-To-Know’s
“Media class is very much you get what you put in. There’s a standard of doing a lot of work and putting in a lot of effort because that is what creates such a meaningful class and an effective space. The class can take a lot of time management and depending how well you do that, there can be a significant course load. The structure of the class enables you to create your own deadlines (while still maintaining relevance/newsworthiness) and so as a student if I am drowning in work already I probably wouldn’t take on another project. The class is not a lecture course at all and can be individual or collaborative, all depending which path you take. Overall the course is so much fun and so worth taking because you get to explore so many different aspects of media and areas of campus. The class as a whole really is based on the effort you put into it…”

Favorite part about the class
“The freedom to be creative and explore new things/areas of media, I feel like I have been able to learn a lot because Mr. Falkner provides the space to be curious. Also creating the newspaper and late nights working on it are always a highlight”.

Fundamentals of Media Production
Feedback from junior, Finley Clark

The Need-To-Know’s
“This is a very participation-based class and you are very much in control of your workload. In the beginning, you will learn a lot about how to use the technology and resources that are provided to you. Once you are working on projects it is all about time management which should be something you are comfortable doing because you will have time to work on stuff in class but sometimes it requires time taken outside of class to get projects done. ”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class is learning new media based skills and being able to collaborate with my classmates.”

Yearbook Design & Publication
Feedback from senior, Emilie Erickson

The Need-To-Know’s
“Yearbook is a really fun class but does require good time management and good communication skills. You have to reach out to multiple people and get good stories for your pages, and you have to manage your time well to complete pages by their deadline. You get to learn a lot about design and how to use the software of adobe indesign. Overall it’s a fantastic class!”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part has been being able to express my creativity and creating really good connections in the class.”

Photography & Graphic Design
Feedback from senior, Mary Maidment

The Need-To-Know’s
“I wish I knew the amount of time I would be spending outside of school to shoot games and events.“
Favorite part about the class:

Favorite part about the class
“I like how we cover a wide range of topics to fully explore photography and graphic design. I also like how the class is self paced and we have plenty of resources available to work with.”

PE & HEALTH

Power Training
Feedback from junior, Grant Valley

The Need-To-Know’s
“You need to be expected to work hard. I have Massey who is an amazing motivator, coach, and person. If you are lucky enough to have his class, he will push you to your limit because he wants you to reach your potential. You don’t need to have ever lifted a weight in your life, or you could be a bodybuilder. It doesn’t matter, he treats all of his students the same way. The class isn’t based on who can lift the most, but who gives 110% and improves.”

Favorite part about the class
“The atmosphere is amazing. When you are in an environment where you are trying to improve yourself and so is everyone around you, it makes for a fun time. Also highly recommend playing music, it brings the vibes up.”

Cardio Fitness
Feedback from senior, Harper Andreas

The Need-To-Know’s
“You don’t need to have any previous experience in working out.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of this class is being able to work out with my friends and have fun.”

Recreational Sports
Feedback from senior, Carson Kennedy

The Need-To-Know’s
“First of all, Rec Sports has been an amazing class for me. After cross country season, I struggled to get my energy out after school, so the ability to participate in games like soccer and basketball during school has been great. Since a student’s grade in the class is fully based on their participation during the class, there is no workload outside of school. Therefore, I have zero homework from this class on a nightly basis. I recommend Rec Sports to anyone looking for a fun, entertaining, and competitive class!”

Favorite part about the class
“I love to play competitive games such as basketball and kickball in the new smith gym. Also, communicating with teammates and opponents between games and in the Locker room makes the class amazing as well.”

Science

Anatomy & Physiology
Feedback from senior, Quinn Geunes

The Need-To-Know’s
“Anatomy and Physiology requires no prior knowledge to taking the course, just the curiosity to want to learn more about the body. It’s great for students who are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. The homework load isn’t too bad with just some sketching assignments here and there to accompany the unit. Overall, it just takes a lot of memorization. Best part, no final exam!”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class has to be the skeletons Mr. Massey keeps in the room. I love being able to pinpoint what I’m learning on an actual body. I also love the opportunity I was able to have through the class required job shadow.”

Environmental Science
Feedback from senior, Grady Brown

The Need-To-Know’s
“This class is not one that gives a large workload, does not feature a lot of homework, and most of the work can be finished in-class. This class does not require a significant amount of outside of school participation. A large part of this class is project-based, and you do a fair number of presentations.”

Favorite part about the class:
“I really enjoyed the field trip to the Bonneville Dam”

AP Chemistry
Feedback from senior, Ali Mo

The Need-To-Know’s
“The class itself doesn’t give much homework. Before tests, we’re given a review sheet and a chapter worksheet which is one of the only times we’re given homework but they’re time consuming to complete. Sometimes students have to finish some lab calculations and analysis outside of class but it’s very manageable. Occasionally, if a student doesn’t finish a lab in class they have to come after school to finish it. The class is structured around lectures with some time given in class to complete labs and worksheets. The material is very similar to the work in Chemistry honors so the first semester is mainly reviewed with harder questions and a few new topics.”
Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class is the labs. We recently used bunsen burners and different metals to experiment with different flame colors.”

AP Physics
Feedback from senior, Ruben Landeros

The Need-To-Know’s
“The homework you are given is a good amount but Mr. Sharp gives you all week so you have plenty of time to work. In total if you actually work it will take a little more than an hour over the week. Other than studying there is no outside of class participation. There is a lot of class discussion during practice problems and labs but it is mostly lectures. This class is hard but if you can keep up you have nothing to worry about.”

Favorite part about the class
“The community. If you think you are confused just know that you aren’t the only one and there is probably someone else to help explain it to you.”

MATHEMATICS

Introduction to Computer Science
Feedback from junior, Reese VanderPloege

The Need-To-Know’s
“The workload was very light, as we weren’t given much homework and we had lots of class time to work on it. There wasn’t any outside of school participation. This class is all lecture-based, and when we started new units there would be more lectures. There were 6 quizzes last year, and no tests and no final exams. In the first semester, we used Snap!, which is snapping premade blocks of code together, and Python right at the end. In the second semester, we used Greenfoot, which used java, to code a lot of scenarios/little games. I honestly loved the class and understood the work very easily, but if you don’t understand or like coding/programming it can be very confusing and frustrating. “

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part was the end of year project where we coded our own video games with partners. We were given complete control over what our scenario could be, but had to use what we learned through the year.”

AP Computer Science
Feedback from Senior, Isabelle Macielinksi

The Need-To-Know’s
“This class is good for people who like logic-based problems to solve. This class has a lot of lab time to practice coding skills given different scenarios. There are lectures where we code along with Mr. Cowal to learn new material.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part is when I get the correct output after trial and error, it is very satisfying.”

AP Data Structures
Feedback from senior, Nicholas Rask

The Need-To-Know’s
“The class is very project-based and many days are lab time for whatever the current coding project is. The homework is light if you use your time in class well”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part is working together with my group mates on projects.”

ENGLISH

Speech & Debate
Feedback from Senior, Tiana Takyama

The Need-To-Know’s
“Before taking this class, be ready to step out of your comfort zone, but also the class is a lot of fun, giving you opportunities to debate and talk about things that interest you. It’s a very interactive class.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class is the speeches about pet peeves and the debates.”

AP Language & Composition
Feedback from junior, Katelyn Huber

The Need-To-Know’s
“AP LANG is a different type of English class than others offered at Jesuit. Instead of completing essays based on literary analysis, the course is focused on rhetorical analysis. AP LANG includes a significantly greater amount of writing than reading. A typical day in class includes a lecture which is based on the current unit, including steps of different writing styles. The classroom environment is an open space where students can express their own feedback on the course. The teacher’s conferencing hours are clearly posted”.

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of AP LANG has been writing our most recent assignment, the Open Letter. We have the option to choose any topic we are passionate about. We are to address a letter to a certain group of people with our personal opinion about a certain topic. I chose to write about the harmful effects of AI in the classroom, addressed to U.S. school systems. I really appreciate the freedom we have in choosing topics in AP LANG.”

AP Literature & Composition
Feedback from senior, Sabatino Stacchi

The Need-To-Know’s
“I really enjoy AP Lit, but it’s definitely designed for a specific audience of students. To do well and get a good experience out of this course, you’ll need to enjoy reading complex books and spending an extensive amount of time analyzing their underlying themes. Each book in the curriculum—Frankenstein, Beowulf and Dracula among them—contain numerous symbols and historical, social and political layers to unpack. To do well in AP Lit means to spend a significant amount of time reading, annotating and trying to understand the complicated works. Coming to class prepared is especially important because, predominantly, we work in groups called ‘brain trusts’ to share our takeaways and help one another better understand each chapter. Designed to mirror a college English class, we also spend a lot of time sharing our interpretations and talking about the book as a whole class. Doing the homework and reading outside of class is crucial in a course that incorporates so much discussion. In this class, Mrs. Villareal talks a lot about being a “maker of meaning”, and I feel like this class has helped me grow a lot in that respect. It’s not so much about there being a ‘right’ way to interpret a book as it’s about learning how to read between the lines and see the deeper significance behind an author’s words. I highly recommend this class to anyone that loves to read and enjoys sharing their ideas about books—you won’t regret it.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part about the class is talking about how the books we’re reading relate to the real world and how we can see the literary themes as part of our history and society.”

Diversity of Female Voices
Feedback from Senior, Alex Semper

The Need-To-Know’s
“DofFV is a very well structured course full of discussion-based and collaborative tools/content. The course work can be slightly intimidating, but if you are putting in the work because of your interest/passion/curiosity about the subjects, it will be a VERY easy and engaging class; you get what you give in this course. There is very little outside work besides reading /membean, which again should be easy if you are passionate about the topic.”

Favorite part about the class
“Every aspect of this course has been so meaningful and educational. I couldn’t have asked for a better class and I would strongly encourage everyone to take it because every person would greatly benefit and have a new perspective, no matter your gender, sexuality and race.”

Speculative Fiction
Feedback from Senior, Julia Spuck

The Need-To-Know’s
“There is more reading than previous honors or AP English classes. However, the workload is manageable”.

Favorite part about the class
“Class discussions were vibrant and fun.”

HISTORY

AP US History
Feedback from junior, Adelaide Hess

The Need-To-Know’s
“The workload of APUSH is demanding. You have to be prepared to take lots of hours outside of class time to read and study that is assigned. APUSH is a lecture based class and most of the time students are called on to answer questions based on the reading for that week and what we have been learning. Students have to be ready to participate in every class even if they’re not called on.”

Favorite part about the class
“The student community grows strong in that class. Students find themselves helping each other study, working on readings or AP review together. Humor, support and encouragement flourished from each student and it became a supportive atmosphere.”

AP Macroeconomics
Feedback from senior, Luke Cameron

The Need-To-Know’s
“Not at all based on participation, all about how much effort you put into learning the material on your own time.”

Favorite part about the class
“Fun discussions with Mrs. Bernards”

AP Comparative Government & Politics
Feedback from senior, Sam Armour

The Need-To-Know’s
“The class mostly consists of lectures/discussion as we go through the AP textbook and countries we have to study. We’re given time to work on stuff in class, but are homework mostly consists of reading the textbook, watching a video once a week, and having an assignment every week or so. Also, each semester, we have to do two current event presentations where we read an article, summarize it, and give our opinions on it.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of the class is the work time we’re given to complete reading or assignments after the lectures.”

AP United States Government & Politics
Feedback from senior, Poppy Prewitt

The Need-To-Know’s
“Although lecture plays a role in this class, it is mostly composed of discussion with classmates as well as participating in Supreme Court simulations which are very fun. There is homework almost every day, but it doesn’t take more than 10 minutes and I almost always finish it at school. It is a lot of memorization, but overall a very fun and interesting class that I would recommend taking.”

Favorite part about the class
“My favorite part of AP US Government and Politics is when we do Supreme Court simulations. It increases my understanding of the topic that is being argued as well as challenges me to think deeper about why I have a certain opinion and it keeps me open minded while listening to others speak”.

International Studies
Feedback from senior, Hobby Miller

The Need-To-Know’s
“Honestly, you don’t need to know anything going into IS. This is a true elective, just an entry level look at the international world around us.”

Favorite part about the class
“It’s a very open-ended class. In the first semester, we were assigned a country that would represent many assignments, projects, and moments of culture sharing. I definitely enjoy the international aspect, but also the fact that the class is very chill. Mr. Hahn is a good teacher who knows what he’s doing and does well to create a good class environment.”

Unfortunately, we were not able to get feedback for the following classes:
Tech Theater
Art I Advanced
AP Art
AP Biology
Civil Rights In America

If you are interested in getting a student perspective on these classes. Feel free to reach out to me and I can connect you with a student who is currently taking the class.