Valentine’s Day origins and what it means to students

Origins of Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s day is a well known Holiday celebrated on February 14th. However, the origins of this holiday aren’t completely clear. Valentine’s day was first celebrated as a day of Romance in Rome in the 14th century with symbols that represented love and cupid, the Roman God of love.
There are three main beliefs around the origins of valentine’s day. Some believe that Valentine’s day originated around the Roman festival Lupercalia, which celebrated the coming of spring. However Pope Gelasius I banned the celebration and is believed to have replaced it with St. Valentine’s Day. Another origin belief was that Valentine’s day came from a priest who was martyred by the emperor Claudius II Gothicus. The priest wrote a letter to his jailer’s daughter and signed it “from your valentine.” The last common origin belief was that St. Valentine went against the emperor’s orders and marries couples to keep the husbands from going to war. This is believed to be why his feast day is associated with love. (https://www.britannica.com/topic/Valentines-Day)
How Jesuit Celebrates Valentine’s Day

Student government is organizing “Valentine’s day” cards for staff appreciation in the Arrupe center.
If you fill out Sader Smiles the notes will be sent on Valentine’s day to further promote kindness in the Jesuit community.
During break there will be Valentine’s day cookie decorating in commons that everyone can participate in.
Lastly, Valentine’s day falls during spirit week, so the theme that day will be to wear red or pink to show your Valentine’s day spirit.

What Valentine’s day means to Jesuit students

While Valentine’s day can be lighthearted, seniors Julius Christensen and Nathanial Valderrama believe the day focuses on appreciation.
“Valentine’s day to me is a time to recognize people you care about in your life, not only in a romantic way,” Christensen shared

Valderrama spoke about the actual moments during Valentine’s Day.
“Valentine’s day is a chance to share moments with your friends and loved ones,” he said.

Junior Taylor Reed spoke about how Valentine’s Day is all about spreading love.
“Valentine’s day is all about showing love to the people that mean the most to you in
your life,” she said.
Sophomore Christian Lowe, however, focused more on the actual day and what it means to him.
“Valentine’s Day is a beautiful day filled with love and happiness,” Lowe said.

Finally, sophomore Kate Gabrielson spoke in detail about what the actual day means to her.
“To me, Valentine’s Day is a fun and relaxing time to acknowledge and celebrate any kind of relationships that are in my life,” she said.