Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Second Round OSAA 6A Playoffs: Jesuit downs South Medford 60-47

Jesuit beat South Medford in the second round of the 2024 6A basketball playoffs. (Photography courtesy of Carlos Regnier @regnier.photography.pdx)

The Jesuit men’s basketball team walked into Friday’s game with hopes to advance to Chiles center for the first time since 2019.

Playing the 9th ranked team in the state South Medford, the Crusaders dominated, winning 60-47.

Team captain Patrick Kilfoil led the team with 21 points and believes the team “played one of our best games of the season.”

Second in scoring was the 6’2 freshman Issac Bongen. Finding himself around the three point line with four threes and 19 points in the end.

Senior captain Nico Rafalovich also contributed, adding 8 points.

“Everyone sticking to the game plan, allow[ed] us to start out the game strong, we looked like a really good team,” Rafalovich said.

Kilfoil believes the key to their success was playing up to their “standards and competing. We Blocked out other distractions and focused on the task at hand.”

The emphasis on defense shined through, seeing as the team played as one on defense communicating well, while also setting the tone on the offensive side of the ball.

Entering the second half the Crusaders goal was to go on a run and close out the game, which is exactly what they did in dramatic fashion.

“The team morale is extremely high and everyones in good spirits,” Rafalovich said. “But we’re extremely locked in and know that this is the only chance we have.”

The men’s basketball team looks to make a run at the Chiles Center where they last appeared in 2019 against their biggest rival, Central Catholic.