New garden grows outside of Lower Arrupe Hall

Courtesy of Colin Rubenstein
Fr. Claderon spreads incense over the newly built garden

BY MICHAEL LANG ’20

The environmental science class built a new garden just outside of Lower Arrupe Hall. There are three new enclosures for the garden and, in its current state, the garden is home to new vegetables planted by the environmental science class. The garden regularly requires attention from the class, allowing students to recognize the efforts that go into a garden and the need for students to upkeep it.

The garden was originally proposed to be located in the alumni quad. However, with the help of Mr. Clarke, a member of the sustainability committee at Jesuit, the garden was relocated and the measurements for the space were determined.

“When we got the approval for Lower Arrupe, we were able to put three 4-by-12 planter boxes there that would be 15 inches deep,” Mr. Clarke said. “We used about six and a quarter yards of dirt.”

While Mr. Clarke worked to get the supplies, environmental science teacher Ms. Mahoney pushed for the students of her classes to build and maintain the garden and the plants within it.

“The kids built the beds [and] shoveled the soil,” environmental science and biology teacher Ms. Mahoney said. “We could have hired somebody to build [the beds]. I wanted [the students] to do it because then [they] take ownership in the process and [they] understand the work.”

As a result, many students of the class enjoyed the opportunity to build and maintain the garden.

“I think it was good [and] I think we definitely needed [a garden],” said senior Lance Paglinawan . “We [framed] [the garden] and then [established] the boxes. Everyday we [worked on] it.”

There are also plans to continue the use of the garden into the winter and spring. However, in the winter, hoop houses will serve as a miniature greenhouse, keeping the warmer air in and assisting the plants to grow with the moderate winter temperatures here in Oregon.

In addition to the pragmatic uses of the garden, it also symbolically serves as a reminder to preserve and provide for a greener earth.

“I am a firm believer that, unless we all do something, we’re going to be in trouble when it comes to the planet,” Mr. Clarke said.