Recap & Preview: After 28-0 Loss to SkyView, How Will Crusaders Respond against Central Catholic?

The+Jesuit+Crusader+varsity+football+team+gathers+together+before+a+game+last+season+against+Sherwood.+
Brian Murphy
The Jesuit Crusader varsity football team gathers together before a game last season against Sherwood.

As the Crusaders traveled north to take on the Skyview Storm in a much anticipated rematch from last season, the results were one-sided for Skyview. A struggling Jesuit offense, combined with a stout Skyview defense ended in the Crusaders being shutout 28-0 last Friday night.

Jesuit had 4 crucial turnovers, throwing two interceptions and losing possession twice from fumbles. Turning the ball over against a very talented Skyview team resulted in the Storm turning gifted possessions into points on the scoreboard.

Skyview jumped ahead to a 21-0 lead with 6:47 left in the first quarter after Quarterback Jake Kennedy waltzed into the endzone for a seven yard touchdown run, followed by an interception returned for six, by Jerrid Secor. After Skyview’s defense came up with another stop, Skyview’s Trey Jacob ran 13 yards for a score, putting more points on the board for Skyview.

The Crusaders were limited in the trademark ground attack, rushing for only 110 yards on 32 attempts. However, starting running back Lonnie Burt showed some promising flashes when the offensive line was able to create some space for him. Burt rushed for 92 yards on 15 attempts averaging 6.1 yards per carry. Senior Julius Christensen also pitched in with 2 carries for 16 yards.

As the Jesuit offense was never able to find the endzone, one thing became clear: the quarterbacks needed more time.

The revamped “franchise,” with four new starters, could not match the speed and physicality of the Skyview defense. Both Jacob Hutchinson (1-9, 5 yards) and Treynor Cleeland (9-11, 80 yards) were sacked multiple times and were met by storm defenders in the backfield before being able to make decisions and distribute the ball to the plethora of skilled players on the Jesuit offense.

The ground and pound offense that has helped Coach Potter reach over 340 wins has proven to be most effective with a cohesive offensive line. Look to offensive Coordinator and long-time offensive line coach John Andreas to make adjustments in order to improve the chemistry of this offensive line.

Regardless, Jesuit still showed that they do have the offensive weapons in Burt and Christensen to effectively execute the ground attack, which has been so crucial to the success of the Crusaders offense for so many years.

The lack of offense from Friday night’s game was not the only point of interest for fans. Multiple quarterbacks were used.

Senior quarterback Jacob Hutchinson, who has started for the Crusaders since his sophomore year, split drives with junior quarterback Treynor Cleeland. Both quarterbacks combined for only 85 passing yards on 20 attempts.

Going forward, will Jesuit go with a more experienced Jacob Hutchinson or the younger Treynor Cleeland? It could also be very possible to see evenly distributed reps between the two field generals once again.

On the other side of the ball, Jesuit’s defense gave up only 7 points in the last three quarters. The Jesuit defense also caused Skyview to fumble the ball twice, and made some key stops in the second half.

Washington commit Elias Johnson proved that he belongs on the big stage and can play at a high level as he consistently took on the number one matchup and racked up multiple tackles. Johnson was not only a leader by example but also vocally as he helped lead the young Jesuit defense to a successful second half.

Although starting the season getting shut out can be a tough pill to swallow, the Crusaders must have a short term memory and turn their attention fully to the game this week. Central Catholic is coming to Cronin field and many people know just how dangerous they can be. Winning two state championships in the past three years, the Steve Pyne led Rams team deserves all the attention they are getting. After all, Central Catholic has been the most successful team in the state with four total 6A championships over the last decade.

The Rams are led by three star senior quarterback Cru Newman, who was awarded preseason first team all state honors by SB Live, labeling Newman as the best quarterback in the state. With an extremely gifted arm and a unique ability to escape pressure, Newman also has a plethora of talented skill players to distribute the ball to.

Some key Central Catholic players to keep an eye on include Junior Zhaiel Smith, a 3-star athlete who holds offers from Arizona State. Smith, one of the top prospects in Oregon in the 2025 class, led the rams in receptions, yards, and touchdowns last year

Senior Dexter Foster, a 3-star linebacker committed to Oregon State, three star senior defensive back Timmy Mitchell, and Senior Cade Gehlen, who is committed to the University of Portland to play baseball will also anchor an experienced Rams core. Gehlen, an extremely talented athlete, has played all over the field for the Rams at any position of need.

With yet another experienced team matching up against the Crusaders, Coach Potter and captains Jacob Hutchinson, Lonnie Burt, Jace Burton, and Liam Cassidy will be tasked with preparing a younger Jesuit team for a rivalry matchup against the star-studded Rams. The Crusaders will open the home schedule at Cronin Field on Friday, September 8 at 7:00 pm.