Pep band brings the spirit every football game

Hudson Rommel
The pep band practices each home football game before taking to the stands to provide the quintessential sounds of Friday night football.

Jesuit’s Pep Band brings the spirit to every home football and basketball game and all assemblies. Led by Mr. Ken Hoffman, pep band is made up of members of all different Jesuit bands and volunteers.

The pep band consists of around 6 volunteers but with band members from other Jesuit bands, the pep band can consist of up to 60-70 performers. Students from all grades come together to play all instruments one would find in a standard concert band minus instruments that could become damaged outside like a string bass, bassoon, or oboe.

Being a Jesuit band, Pep band is rooted in community and tradition. To help build this community and tradition, the entire band sits down to share a meal and conversation before every game performance. This tradition has been alive for as long as Mr. Hoffman can remember and he views it as a great way to bond the students together.

With any activity, there are always challenges or roadblocks into making something the best it can be. Pep bands have a unique set of challenges that they must overcome to play at a Football game or Basketball Game.

“Well with football in the outdoors, the challenge obviously would be when it rains. Always exciting. And indoors, it’s really just a question of the space and the amount of sound so you can imagine if we brought all 60 into a game for basketball, how it might get a little tight or frantic in there.”

Although pep band may have to overcome some obstacles, its main goal is to spread positivity and excitement to all. Tenor player junior Aubrey Schiefelbein describes her time in pep band by saying ,

“Pep band is one of my favorite things to do at Jesuit and I am always so excited to have fun with my friends and cheer on my school. Oh, and we can’t forget the free food!!”

Not only is pep band fun for the musicians, it creates joy for everyone that attends a Jesuit High School game.