Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Men’s soccer earns second place in OSAA 6A state tournament

Picture This PDX
Jesuit Men’s Soccer Team takes home the second place trophy.

Last Saturday, November 11th, the #2 ranked Jesuit men’s soccer team took on the #1 ranked Lakeridge Pacers at Sherwood High School in the State finals. Unfortunately, the Crusaders didn’t get the outcome they had hoped for and came out with a 3-2 loss in overtime.

Entering the game, the Crusaders had a record of 14-3-2 while the Pacers had a 18-1 record and were ranked #1 in the state before playoffs began.

This was the third game of playoffs that Jesuit had gone into overtime, so they had been on their toes their whole playoff run but they were ready. Both teams brought intensity straight off the bat and were anxious to get a goal. The first half went back and forth with possession and both teams couldn’t seem to get a good chance on goal.

The Pacers struck first in the 39th minute. Senior Captain Rafa Loyo was fouled in the box from behind and was called for a penalty kick. Loyo placed the ball in the bottom right corner to put them up 1-0.

Halftime: Jesuit 0, Lakeridge 1.

In the 9th minute of the second half, Jesuit struck back. Senior Jack Reding scored a header goal off of two other headers from a corner kick by Pablo Salazar.

“I’m proud of this team. I am pleased with how each of us played, we left everything on the field,” Reding stated after the game. “It’s unfortunate the result didn’t go our way but I couldn’t be happier with my teammates. It was overall a great season for us and I hope the best for the boys next season.”

Only one minute later, former Timbers Academy player, sophomore Eyad Salhi, scored a great goal off of a beautiful slip ball through the two Lakeridge center backs from Logan McGuire. This goal put the Crusaders up 2-1. Salhi has made a big impact for the Crusaders this year and will continue to make his mark on Jesuit Soccer for the next two years.

The Crusaders had the momentum after this goal and brought more opportunities within the next couple minutes. With 10 minutes remaining, Lakeridge took more possession of the ball and scored off of a corner to tie the game up with 8 minutes left of the second half. Lakeridge senior Captain Karson Kosik’s goal put the game into overtime.

Overtime started off extremely intense with both teams wanting to take home the gold trophy. Lakeridge Loyo scored again in the 2nd minute to lead the Pacers 3-2 on their way to victory.

Jesuit pressed at this point, needing another goal to put the game into penalty kicks. Junior Grant Sasaki had a shot off the crossbar for the Crusaders minutes after the Pacers goal. Lakeridge’s back line was extremely strong once they went up to secure the score and make sure Jesuit couldn’t get back in the game.

Earning the silver medal, the Crusaders ended with a strong season and an even stronger connections.

“I was really proud of the way we fought, they gave everything they had, as a coach I cannot ask for more than that,” coach Geoff Skipper stated. “This is a special group of Seniors, we will miss them next year. They are great athletes but even better people.”

Final Score: Jesuit 2, Lakeridge 3.