Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Cheer stays dedicated, focused amid coaching change

Margo Delaney
The Jesuit Cheer team stayed determined and organized despite a mid-year coaching change.

This winter season for our Jesuit cheerleaders has definitely been one for the books. After the departure of their old coach, the cheerleaders have been organizing themselves through their strong connections and extraordinary teamwork.

Since the beginning of December, the older and more experienced girls on the team have been embracing their leadership roles and mentoring the younger team members. Varsity cheer is a younger team this season with no seniors, resulting in the juniors serving as team leaders.

“We have returners helping call out cheers, and practice game day routines. We are not allowed to tumble or stunt without a supervisor in the room but that doesn’t mean we can’t still bring the spirit to every game,” junior Lucy Robb said.

The cheerleading program is led by Mrs. Lakey, the activities director. Mrs. Lakey served as an adult supervisor during practices and games and made sure everyone remained safe. Mrs. Lakey was able to gain a first hand perspective on how hardworking this team truly is.

“The cheerleaders have been really resilient. They really banded together to make sure that the program is still up and running, especially for the freshman with this weird experience of having a coach and then not having a coach,” Mrs. Lakey said.

Despite the uncertainty of the future of the team, the cheerleaders did not buckle under the pressure and give up. But instead, they pushed through.

“At first it was really hard, since we aren’t coaches. But, the older girls helped us to come together to practice to make sure that we remained a solid team,” sophomore Grace Davis said.

In January, Jesuit hired a new coach.

Coach Tomas Pedraza has extensive cheer experience since 2001 and is ready to revamp both the sideline and competition cheer program.

“The way that we are revamping the cheerleading program is by getting back to the roots of what it is to be a Jesuit student and not it being about cheerleading but about serving the other students and it about being a voice of encouragement,” Coach Tomas said.