Coach Kessler previews the track season

Coach Kessler is entering his second year of coaching Track and Field at Jesuit.

Coach Kessler, starting his second year of coaching Track and Field at Jesuit, is looking forward to coaching a gritty and hardworking team.

“This is an exciting year for the development and growth of the Track & Field culture here at Jesuit. We are building something special, and when I say we, that includes all coaches and the energy that the student athletes bring everyday,” he said.

Last year, men’s Track and Field placed 7th in state and women placed 4th. This year, he hopes to be able to lead a strong team to state.

“[Our] goals are always to compete and train hard all the way through the state track meet. Hopefully we are healthy enough at the end to make a strong run for the team title at the two day long 6A state track meet. [Which is] very hard to do,” Kessler said.

Track and Field is one of the biggest sports at Jesuit, as more than 350 athletes compete in many different events. Kessler said keeping all the athletes on the same page and shaping them into a team is the hardest part of coaching. A big part of creating a high performing team are the seniors.

Kessler believes leadership is key.

“To be positive leaders for the entire team to follow. Most importantly, lead yourself the right way before you try to lead anyone else. Lead by example of effort before leading with words.”

Leadership is impacted by experience ,and Kessler acknowledges that every season starts without key seniors who graduated last year.

“With their departure, that only means it’s time for the past junior class to step up, grow and fill the roles of the previous senior class,” he said.

To aid in this progression, the track team has a Leadership Council made up of seniors, juniors, and sophomores to foster a strong sense of leadership.

Regardless of this season’s outcome, Coach Kessler has one message for the team.

“I would like all 350+ athletes to work hard every day and find events that fit their skill set. And as always and most importantly, smile and have fun!”