How Jesuit matched up against the Central Catholic speed and prepare for defending champs Lions

Varsity+assistant+coach+John+Andreas+speaks+with+quarterback+Treynor+Cleeland+during+the+game.+
Hudson Rommel
Varsity assistant coach John Andreas speaks with quarterback Treynor Cleeland during the game.

The Jesuit Crusaders hosted the Central Catholic Rams at Cronin Field on Friday, September 8th.The Rams defeated their cross town rival 28-6.

The Crusaders began their first home game of the season hoping to avenge their 28-0 loss to Skyview. The Crusaders started off hot, striking first, as senior Matt Eilers hauled in a 4-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Treynor Cleeland.

The Crusaders took the field looking confident in front of their home crowd, until the Rams took over in the 2nd quarter and never looked back. Central Catholic’s speed was on display, as they went on to score 28 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter.

Sophomore running back, Tyson Davis, started the Ram’s hot streak, plowing his way into the endzone with a 25 yard rushing touchdown. Junior receiver, Landon Kelsey, then followed with a 22 yard touchdown reception from quarterback Cru Newman with 1:15 remaining in the half.

After quickly getting the ball back from the Jesuit offense, three star defensive back Timmy Mitchell returned a punt for a 51-yard touchdown to end the half.

As both teams entered the locker rooms for halftime, the score rested at 28-6 with the Rams holding the lead.

When the second half began, both defenses were stout holding the opposing offenses to zero points.

Starting off winless through the first two games, the Crusaders look to keep improving and have yet another strong week of practice before this Friday when they face the defending state champions West Linn Lions.

Senior Jace Burton is looking toward improvement.

“I think we saw some really good flashes and we are continuing to focus. We spend a lot of time watching game film and prioritize limiting the mistakes. We are continuing to compete in practice and get better every week.”

Burton showcased a strong offensive performance catching 7 receptions for 41 yards. Senior Matt Eilers also had a breakout game scoring the Crusaders only touchdown. Eilers ended the game with 4 receptions for 42 yards.

Eilers explained how he created opportunities and what the Jesuit offense can do to prepare for their matchup against the highly touted Lions.

“I think that we have a lot of weapons especially at the receiver position, so when we are all doing our jobs and playing smart, we will be able to capitalize as a team this week against West Linn.”

The Crusaders recognize that they do have things to improve on and they need to continue cleaning up the mistakes and limiting the turnovers in order to compete with the reigning champs. Jesuit starts off the season with a combined 6 turnovers over the last two games. The Crusaders lost possession twice throughout the game, an interception and a fumble, following which, the Rams’ momentum only grew.

However, Jesuit does carry a confidence in their struggling offensive unit and believes they can put more points on the board in upcoming games.

“We played a lot smarter than week one and were able to get the offense moving. We definitely still have things to work on offensively especially cleaning up the mistakes and capitalizing on our opportunities offensively,” Eilers said.

Building on the offensive progress, the Crusaders may have found their new talent at the quarterback position. Junior Treynor Cleeland debuted as starting quarterback for game two against the Rams. Cleeland (14-32) threw 133 yards and a touchdown pass in his first game as a starter.

Cleeland has sat behind senior Jacob Hutchinson for two years and split drives with him in the Crusaders season opener against Skyview. That changed in week 2 as the decision was made to strictly go with Cleeland.

“I do feel confident in Treynor as our starting QB. He has already improved so much from week 1 not just using his arm but his legs too,” junior Grant Valley said.

“Treynor is a leader at practice and has grown in his knowledge for the game. Once we are able to consistently move the ball we will be a problem.”

With the Crusaders making a possible decision at quarterback, and finding their stride with the offense, Jesuit will wrap up the last two games of their out of conference gauntlet facing West Linn and Tualatin in the following weeks.

The Lions will not be an easy task as they are returning 4 out of 5 starters on the offensive line and are led by the Donnerberg twins both standing at 6 foot 4. Both three star recruits, Wiley and Gus Donnerberg both hold offers from Idaho and Portland State and were both key elements in the Lions state championship team last season.

Although last year’s Gatorade player of year and four star recruit, Sam Leavitt, graduated and is now playing division one football at Michigan State, The Lions have no issue scoring points, putting up 41 on the scoreboard.

Junior Baird Gilroy takes charge of the West Linn offense and has no issue seeing the field in his 6 foot 4 frame.

West Linn also introduces a new star freshman, Josiah Molden. Molden, the brother of Tennessee Titans defensive back Elijah Molden, and son of Oregon Duck legend, Alex Molden, has a deep background of high level football in his family.

Although only a freshman, Molden already holds scholarship offers from Oregon, Washington, Oregon State and Nevada. Keep an eye out for Jace Burton as he will likely matchup against Molden this week.

A common theme has emerged as a young Jesuit team will face yet again and another experienced team in West Linn. Look to Jesuit as they will continue making progress with their offense and hope to unleash their high level second half defense right at kick off.

The Crusaders will travel to West Linn high school on Friday, September 15 and the game will begin at 7:00.