Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit sweeps series against Aloha, keeps pace with Sunset

The #3 Jesuit Crusaders kept pace with the undefeated Sunset in the Metro League by sweeping the Aloha Warriors. Jesuit took on a huge Metro League rival last week in the #18 Aloha Warriors. The Crusaders hold a record of 9-3 and the Warriors hold a record of 8-3. Both teams have high end talent with Aloha star junior Jayden Nakamura (UW commit) and Kainoa Santiago (Gonzaga commit). Tough start for the Crusaders as Santiago goes down with a season ending shoulder injury very early into the season.

GAME 1: TUESDAY

Opening match of the series the Warriors hosted the Crusaders. Junior Johnny Ingalls was on the mound for day 1 of the matchup. All eyes were on Ingalls as he geared up for his first start of the year.

“To start the game I felt a little bit anxious just because it was my first start, but my team had my back and they gave me a lot of reassurance throughout the game,” Ingalls said.

Ingalls started to get in a groove after a few innings.

“I really began to get comfortable through the first few innings and then after that, the team opened up and we got a gritty team win,” Ingalls said. Ingalls threw 4 innings with 4 strikeouts and 1 ER.

All around, the Crusaders had a great time win, with big performances out of players like junior Carter Stewart. Stewart went 2-2 with a huge RBI double to help lead the Crusaders. The Crusaders left Aloha with a clean 7-2 win, looking to dominate game 2 at Sprunk.

Game 2- Wednesday

Senior PO Mickey McClaskey started on the mound for this matchup with a lot at stake here for the Crusaders. A win would mean they would take the series.

During the 1st inning, Stewart stepped up to the plate with a man on first. Stewart blasted a deep home run to center to put the Crusaders up 2-0, and this was just the beginning for the Crusaders. The Crusaders rolled into the 6th inning up 4-0 looking to close the game. Senior Preston Miller hit a 2 run homer to put the Crusaders up 6-0. Senior Jacob Bishop and Carter Stewart continued to show up to close this game 10-0. The Crusaders “mercy ruled” the Aloha Warriors.

Stewart likes the roll the Crusaders are on.

“We are on a good winning streak of being 5-1 in Metro so far, the team’s confidence is very high and that translated to our strong at bats,” Stewart said.

Game 3- Friday
Game 3 of the series, the Crusaders traveled to Aloha desiring a sweep. The Crusaders clinched the series, but every game matters for their record when competing vs the undefeated Sunset Apollos in league play.

Senior Jacob Bishop earned the start for the Crusaders.

Stewart hits a Sac fly early into the game to get a quick 1-0 lead for the Crusaders. Aloha then went onto a run going up 5-2. The 6th inning rolls around and the Crusaders put up 3 runs to make them down 6-7.

In the 7th inning, with the Crusaders down 1, Stewart hit a triple. With the game-tying run at 3rd, Dillon Garg walked and then stole second base. On the throw to second, Stewart made it home to tie the game and send it to extra innings.

Jesuit came out firing and put up 5 runs in extra innings. The Crusaders went on to win the game 12-7.

The Crusaders took the series and kept pace with the Apollos for the chance to win Metro League.