Seniors skip school on Monday, May 20th

Senior hall was especially quiet during senior skip day on May 20th when many students in the senior class were supposedly ill or excused from school by parents.

Many senior classes were empty this past Monday. Many members of the senior class claimed the day as “senior skip day.”

As made clear in the name, senior skip day is a day where seniors simply skip. This happens at schools all around the country and is really nothing new

Besides a few athletes who are forced to show up, if they wish to participate in their after school sport, classes with seniors were largely empty. With the majority of the class missing, teachers can’t continue with the curriculum so it turned into mostly work periods for those few attending students.

Whether or not the school should give the day off has been debated by students and administrators.

Especially at a school like Jesuit with the graduation rate being near perfect, many students feel like this is a way to celebrate the hard work they put in

Senior Lacrosse player, Christian Buck, thinks that the seniors should have just been given the day off.

“I think we should have the day off because we have worked tremendously hard for the past 4 years, so I think it’d be a good way for the administration to honor us, as we conclude our transformative journey of high school”

Buck is not alone in this opinion, many seniors think that the administration is being too strict as seniors go into their last few days of school.

The Jesuit Administration made their opinion clear in an email sent on Sunday, stating that any seniors who skip will be met with Saturday JUGS and other consequences

History teacher, Mr. Flamoe, has a different opinion regarding senior skip day. He thinks that the seniors don’t really want the day off because it’d be less fun for them

“The students don’t really want the day off because then they wouldn’t be breaking the rules. One of the things that makes skipping a day fun is that its not allowed and there’s a sense of defying the administration.”

Regardless of whether it is condoned by the administration or not, the majority of the senior class was not in attendance on Monday, suggesting that the message made by the administration fell largely on deaf ears.

If students will skip anyways why not just give the students a day of relaxation so as not to pit the students vs the administration anymore as they close out the school year