Updated Jesuit Sports Calendar 20-21

The+revised+2020-2021+OSAA+sports+activities+calendar+

Screenshot taken of the OSAA website by Kavish Siddhartha

The revised 2020-2021 OSAA sports activities calendar

The OSAA recently announced on December 7th that they have adopted a new calendar for the fall, winter, and spring sports seasons amidst COVID-19 concerns. The total duration of each season is 6 weeks which includes the initial first week of practices before official games. One of the biggest reasons for the updated calendar is that all sports have the time and potential for COVID-19 cases to lessen which means less strict guidelines.

“Today’s decision by the Executive Board is another reminder of the impact the pandemic has had on Oregon students and schools,” said Peter Weber, OSAA Executive Director vía the OSAA media release. “While disappointed that we need to adjust our original schedule, we believe that keeping three distinct seasons, albeit in shortened seasons, maintains potential opportunities for all students moving forward.”

Season 2(Fall sports)

The fall sports season, which includes cross country, soccer, volleyball, and football will begin in February. With fall sports starting in February, there is added time for case counts to decrease and for certain counties to move out of the Extreme Risk category. According to the OSAA’s media release, outdoor sports such as soccer and cross country have been greenlit by the governor’s office due to the small likelihood of contracting the virus outdoors. Volleyball is tied to the governor’s county risk level guidance in counties deemed as lower, moderate, or high risk due to the sport being played indoors. At this time, football’s plausibility seems uncertain as it remains on the governor’s list of prohibited activities. While many have proposed the possibility of football moving into later into the year to allow for more COVID-19 cases to die down, the OSAA Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC) voiced that those theories are not supported due to close scheduling conflicts of the 2021 football season.

“In terms of a successful season, I think the OSAA is doing the very best they can given the circumstances,” Junior Tyler Fitts said. “The shortened seasons and overlapping schedules make it difficult for multi-season athletes, but at least we have a decision regarding sports than if all sports were cancelled.”

Season 3(spring sports)

Season 3 features all regular sports and activities (baseball, softball, golf, tennis, and track and field), all which have been permitted by state guidance as all spring sports are outdoor activities. Season 3 will begin on April 5th and extend into roughly the third week of May. Due to close scheduling, potential challenges may arise for athletes who play sports in the spring and winter season because winter practices start during the final week of games for spring season.

“I am mostly disappointed in the new calendar because I play football, baseball, and I ski,” Junior Hayden Smith said. “The overlap between skiing and baseball is six weeks with preseason workouts, which feels tough to manage. Since the seasons are so close together I had to cut out football to make time for ski racing and baseball.”

Season 4(winter sports)

The Jesuit 2020-21 sports season concludes with the winter sports season which includes traditional winter sports (swimming,wrestling, and basketball). The winter season starts in the middle of May and concludes in late June. While Jesuit does not have a wrestling team, moving a high contact sport like basketball to the very end of the year increases the possibility of a basketball season. Currently, OSAA has prohibited basketball, but with nearly a half year until the winter season starts, a change remains hopeful.

Other OSAA activities 

Many other school activities have been revised in order for the school to regulate guidelines. These activities include speech, solo music, dance/drill, cheerleading, choir, and band/orchestra. Activities such as choir and band/orchestra have been moved towards the end of the year to allow for a possibility of each performing in person. Other activities like cheer and dance have been moved later in the year to allow for possible outdoor practices. There is no definite season for these activities, but rules allowing, most of these activities should start in April.

Jesuit High School is also holding pre-season workouts to prepare students for the sports season. All pre-season workouts are optional, but since many pre-season workouts begin a week before games, they are highly encouraged. 

Jesuit administration recently sent out a school-wide email that provides further details on all aspects of each season and each sport. The OSAA website also provides the official calendar for the 2020-2021 sports season while detailing the safety of each season in their media statement.