RECAP: Undefeated Women’s Soccer Takes Metro Title

Ella Acker
Mare Dunne dribbles up field against Lake Oswego in a match earlier in the season.

RECAP: Undefeated Women’s Soccer Takes Metro League Title

Senior captain Abby Cox led Jesuit Women’s soccer team to clinch the 2023 Metro League title by winning 9-3 in a physical match at Beaverton Monday night.

The undefeated Jesuit Crusaders started off strong with Cox scoring in the first 3 minutes of the game and again off a header 20 minutes later. After Cox’s goals, Jesuit got on a roll and scored 3 goals in the next 10 minutes.

“As a team we are happy with our performance in the regular season and we are looking forward to continuing to write our story at playoffs,” Cox said after the game.

With 3 minutes left of the first half, Beaverton’s striker hit a half volley and scored for the Beavers. Halftime score: Jesuit 6, Beaverton 1.

The second half started slowly until the first goal in the 18th minute for the Crusaders. Beaverton responded with a midfielder strike in the 22nd minute to make the score Jesuit 7, Beaverton 2.

The intensity of the game increased and Claudia Rose put the Crusaders up to 8. In less than a minute, senior for Beaverton, Riley Unruh, shot a penalty kick and scored the third goal for the Beavers.

Head coach Steve Fennah shared that last night “was a little bit of a strange game. Conceding three is unusual but I am very pleased with the attacking play – goals were shared around and we had some excellent attacking play.”

Natalie Weber finished the game off with a goal for Jesuit in the last 5 minutes of the game. With this win, Jesuit takes the Metro title and heads into playoffs in the #1 ranked spot and will have their first match on October 28.

“Now we have 12 days before playoffs start – we need to use it as time to refresh and then focus on our sharpness,” coach Fennah exclaimed.

Final score, Jesuit 9, Beaverton 3