Jesuit Chronicle

Photography Class Gallery: Snow 2021

Photo Gallery: February 9th Return to School

Pro-Con Opinion: Should we reopen JHS?

Jesuit+High+School+is+set+to+reopen+in+February+2021.+Is+it+the+right+choice%3F

Ivan Aleksic

Jesuit High School is set to reopen in February 2021. Is it the right choice?

Pro-Con Opinions: Should we go back to school?

Gwynne+Olson+and+Anton+Baricevic+offer+opposing+opinions+about+whether+or+not+Jesuit+should+return+to+school%3F

Photo by MChe Lee on Unsplash

Gwynne Olson and Anton Baricevic offer opposing opinions about whether or not Jesuit should return to school?

Photography Gallery: Fall Images

All photography courtesy the Jesuit photography class.

JCTV: News Story #3

JCTV%3A+News+Story+%233

Photo Essay: Making a Bonsai at home

Photo Essay: Day in the Life of Clarinne Kirk

Results of 2020 Jesuit Mock Election

Jesuit+held+its+2020+Presidential+Mock+election+on+Tuesday%2C+November+3rd.+

Advisor

Jesuit held its 2020 Presidential Mock election on Tuesday, November 3rd.

On Tuesday, November 3rd, 631 Jesuit students participated in the 2020 mock election, representing approximately half of the student body. Voting was tied to Jesuitmail.org email accounts to ensure students are enrolled at Jesuit High School. Students were only allowed to vote once and weren’t required to answer any/all of the questions.

Polls were open from 8am-3pm.

This election was meant to symbolize a possible outcome of tonight’s presidential election, where voters will cast their ballots via mail or in-person until 8 pm tonight in most states.

Jesuit Chronicle conducted the Mock Election.

The junior class was the most involved, with 195 students voting, followed by the freshmen class (164), the senior class (146) and the sophomore class (126).

Of the 631 students, 621 offered their political party. 53% identified as Democrats and 16.3% identified as Republican, with 27.4% stating that they had no party preference. 3.4% stated other.

 

Mock Vote Results: Biden wins in a landslide

Former+Vice+President+Joe+Biden%27s+kickoff+rally+for+his+2020+Presidential+campaign.+Link+to+original+image%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fcommons.wikimedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFile%3AJoe_Biden_kickoff_rally_May_2019.jpg+

Michael Stokes

Former Vice President Joe Biden’s kickoff rally for his 2020 Presidential campaign. Link to original image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Joe_Biden_kickoff_rally_May_2019.jpg

In Jesuit’s mock election, Biden and Harris won in a landslide victory with a whopping 77.6% of the vote, while Trump and Pence received 22.4% of voter support.

Juniors had the highest voter turnout, making up 30.9% of voters.

Sophomores had the lowest amount of voter turnout with 20% of the vote.

Biden, who identifies as liberal, has more popular views in Oregon, a state which has voted for the Democratic Party in every election since 1988.

President Trump, who identifies as conservative, is favored to win red states

  

    How students are feeling about the election

    How+students+are+feeling+about+the+election

    Jesuit Chronicle asked students to offer one word about how they are feeling about the 2020 Presidential Election. 434 students offered their feelings out of more than 631 votes cast.

    The wordle above offers their responses.

     

    Mock Election results: Merkley wins easily

    Senator+Jeff+Merkley+%28D-OR%29+gives+his+account+of+the+humanitarian+crises+throughout+Africa%2C+as+well+as+what+the+United+States+could+do+to+address+the+issues.++Photo+source%3A+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fusipeace%2F43299984782+

    US Institute of Peace

    Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR) gives his account of the humanitarian crises throughout Africa, as well as what the United States could do to address the issues. Photo source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/usipeace/43299984782

    Senator Jeff Merkley, the Democratic nominee for the Oregon Senate, won in a landslide against Republican Nominee Jo Rae Perkins. 77.5% of Jesuit students voted for Merkley while the remainder 22.5% of students voted for Perkins. 

    The results for the Oregon senate are almost a perfect reflection of the student votes for president; Joe Biden received 77.6% of the student vote while Donald Trump received the remainder 22.4%. This margin suggests that voters stayed within party boundaries for both the presidential and congressional elections. 

    Senator Merkley has served as the United States Senator for Oregon since his first election in 2008. He is renowned for his progressive ideals and is the only US Senator to have endorsed Bernie Sanders. In addition, he makes a commitment to upholding the principles of democracy, supporting climate justice, and providing equal opportunities

    Jo Rae Perkins has run for US Senate in 2014 and the US House of Representatives in 2016 and 2018, yet each endeavor has been unsuccessful. Perkins, a devout Christian, promotes a primarily conservative agenda. She supports pro-life policy, abolishing the affordable care act, and replacing income taxes with a sales tax.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Navigate Left
    • Classes are underway. Photo by Paul Hogan.

      PHOTOGRAPHY

      Photo Gallery: February 9th Return to School

    • Photography Gallery: Fall Images

      PHOTOGRAPHY

      Photography Gallery: Fall Images

    • The smooth branches of the Jersey Jewel Hinoki Bonsai, a
popular Japanese Holly that grows around 2-3 inches per year.

      PHOTOGRAPHY

      Photo Essay: Making a Bonsai at home

    • Captivated by my phone, I scroll through social media to catch up on the day’s news.

      PHOTOGRAPHY

      Photo Essay: Day in the Life of Clarinne Kirk

    • Photography Class Slideshow Composition Skills 1.0

      ARTS

      Photography Class Slideshow Composition Skills 1.0

    • Sophomore Student Government member Catie Dice creating a "Welcome Freshman" poster during class

      FEATURES

      Can We Have School Dances? Student Government’s Plans for Hybrid

    • The cast of “Puffs, or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic” presented by Jesuit Drama.

      ARTS

      Jesuit Drama Presents “Puffs, or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic”!

    • Wenjun Hou named a finalist in the 2020 Regeneron Science Talent Search for his groundbreaking solution to the Knapsack Problem.

      FEATURES

      Feature: Wenjun Hou Named Finalist in Regeneron Science Talent Search

    • A student in class with the hybrid-learning model would need to use some kind of computer or tablet.

      FACULTY AND STAFF

      Teaching with Zoom: How teachers are transitioning from Zoom calls at home to Zoom calls at School

    • Vice President Kamala Harris

      FACULTY AND STAFF

      Podcast: Vice President Kamala Harris: The Embodiment of Representation and Inspiration for Youth

    Navigate Right
    Activate Search
    Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.