Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Faculty Spotlight: Mrs. Hermann sets up student success

Coco Blixseth
Mrs. Hermann teaches freshman and Magis Seminar in the CLARC.

Mrs. Hermann, Jesuit’s freshman and Magis Seminar teacher, can usually be found in the CLARC. Her job has many components that aim to help her students create new study habits.

“I teach under the umbrella of the CLARC and my classroom is right next to it and I teach three classes of freshman seminar and two classes of Magis seminar.”

She started off her teaching as an elementary school, as well as eighth grade teacher. With experience in high school applications and an opening for a new seminar teacher at Jesuit, she decided to take a leap of faith and try something new and figured it would be a job she could handle.

“I thought it was a really good match for my skill set. The freshmen are doing exactly that. They’re transitioning to their high school experience, and they’re needing to learn a whole new skill set as they enter, you know, more rigorous academic work.”

She describes the Jesuit community as supportive and has had help from some experienced staff when it comes to teaching.

Mrs. Hermann also tries to build connections with her students and create bonds to understand who they are as individuals.

“I love hearing about other things that make them who they are. And a lot of times those are outside activities, activities outside of Jesuit,” Herman said.

Her students appreciate the skills Herman brings to the classroom.

“She is very well organized and she does a good job making sure her students have time to study,” junior Maren Moroney said.

Aside from teaching, Mrs. Hermann has a variety of hobbies. The list includes, kayaking, walking in the summer, swimming, strength training, and trying out tik tok recipes. She also has a big family that she enjoys spending time with, especially around the holidays.