New Faculty Spotlight: Mr. Sven Shoultz, English Teacher

Mr. Shoultz joins the English Department as a student teacher for the 2021-22 school year.

Mr. Sven Shoultz, a new student teacher at Jesuit, will be joining Mr. Reinhardt in English I and English III this year. Just beginning his teaching career, Shoultz is excited to start at Jesuit.

“I’ve taught one year at another Jesuit high school, as a volunteer, but other than that I’m pretty fresh,” Shoultz said.

An alum of the University of Portland, Shoultz’s background is in marketing, but he has always been drawn to storytelling, and hopes to share some of his story with his students.

“I like to think of myself as a storytelling teacher. I really want to be someone that [appreciates] stories and how they are told, so English seemed like the natural fit for that.”

Shoultz encourages students to come talk to him at break or during flex period, and is ready to fully immerse himself in the Jesuit community.

“Even though I’m a student teacher, I am here to be a part of the community. You’re always welcome to come up and talk to me,” Shoultz said.

You can find Mr. Shoultz in room 41 at breaks, lunch, and during flex periods.

Full Interview Transcript: (Edited lightly for length and content)

How long have you been in teaching? 

So this is recent–I’m a student teacher so this is my first year officially being a full teacher. I’ve taught one year at another Jesuit high school, as a volunteer, but other than that I’m pretty fresh!

What classes will you teach this year?

I am in English I with Mr. Reinhardt, and then English III with Mr. Reinhardt, so [I’m teaching] juniors and freshmen, and I’m also helping with JCTV in their production class.

What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?

I really like Jesuit education, I think [the pedagogy] is pretty cool right, so the style of teaching and how we want to form students to be people for others. That’s kinda the main emphasis of Jesuit education. I also really love the students here. They’re already super fun and active and ready to be back to school. And that’s the other thing is COVID, right, it’s so good to be in person again. So, I’m excited to be here in person with all of you.

You mentioned you like Jesuit education. What is your personal background with it?

I went to Seattle’s version of Jesuit High School, so I went to Seattle prep, and then went back and taught there. I’ve gone to catholic school since high school and then I went to the University of Portland. I’ve been at Catholic institutions for a long time now and I love it!

What is something the community should know about you?

That’s a really good question. I guess that even though I’m a student teacher, I am here to be a part of the community. You’re always welcome to come up and talk to me, because I’m here to be a teacher and even though I might only be around a little bit this first semester, I’ll be here full time next semester so I’ll be fully part of the community. If anyone wants to talk, I’m always here.

How did you decide to pursue teaching, specifically English teaching?

Actually, my degree is in Marketing originally, and I’ve always loved books and I’ve always liked writing enough. You know, essays in high school are questionably interesting? I’ve always really loved writing and reading, and marketing really is the use of words and images to convince people of things, so it is focused on English a lot, and I like to think of myself as a storytelling teacher. I really want to be someone that, [even if it’s with media production like with JCTV], appreciates stories and how they are told, so English seemed like the natural fit of that and the best place for me to focus with my teaching.

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? 

I would say to give yourself a break. Life is not easy. Life was not meant to be easy, but that if you’re willing to give yourself a break and realize that you’re trying your hardest, as long as you are actually putting in the effort, you’ll get where you need to be. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just take a deep breath and remember you are on a journey.