New Staff Q&A: Mr. Ritschard

Mr. Ritschard is the new PE student teacher at Jesuit.

Mr. Ritschard is brand new to teaching.

“This is technically my first year of experience. I started my graduate program at George Fox about nine months ago in January, (currently) I am a student teacher,” said Mr. Ritschard.

Currently, he is a student teacher under Mrs. Ruchaber, teaching four PE classes, while also helping Mrs. Brooks in health, and Mrs. Ruchaber in third period cardiorespiratory class. The faculty was a big part of the excitement of teaching for him.

“I think when I first came it was the faculty members, I got to know [them] all pretty well. [They] were all really cool and nice, and everybody is so welcoming. Because I didn’t go here, I am not an alumni so this is the first time I’ve been immersed into the Jesuit community and it has been awesome. It’s been great,” said Mr. Ritschard.

Mr. Ritschard attended Centennial High School in Gresham. He felt welcomed to the Jesuit community even though he was not an alumni, like many Jesuit faculty and staff members are.

Sports is one of his main passions.

“I mean, I could talk about sports with anybody. I love all sports [such as] football, baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, I could talk anything with you, anytime. I feel like I am super friendly. I feel like I am more introverted, but when people come and talk to me, I will talk their ears off. That’s just who I am,” said Mr. Ritschard.

On top of talking sports, he also played college basketball for five years, attending three different colleges. He received his best advice from one of his coaches, learning to work hard, and sort through your life and find what you love, and says that he has applied this to all parts of his life.

Full Interview (edited lightly for clarity)

How long have you been teaching?
This is technically my first year of experience. I started my graduate program at George Fox about nine months ago in January, [currently] I am a student teacher.

What classes will you teach this year?
I am teaching four PE classes, and I am also helping out Mrs. Brooks in her third period health class. I also sometimes help in Mrs. Ruchabers third period cardiorespiratory class.

What excites you about teaching at Jesuit?
I think when I first came it was the faculty members, I got to know [them] all pretty well. [They] were all really cool and nice, and everybody is so welcoming. Because I didn’t go here, I am not an alumni so this is the first time I’ve been immersed into the Jesuit community and it has been awesome. It’s been great.

What is something the community of Jesuit should know about you?
I mean, I could talk about sports with anybody. I love all sports [such as] football, baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, I could talk anything with you, anytime. I feel like I am super friendly. I feel like I am more introverted, but when people come and talk to me, I will talk their ears off. That’s just who I am.

What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Shoot, I received a lot of good advice. I have had a lot of good mentors in my life. I think this has kind of stuck with me for a while but my high school coach said “you’re not gonna get anywhere in this world without working hard. Whatever you do, give all you got. If you give it all you got, and it’s not something for you, you might have to change, alter, or move on from whatever you are trying to go for. Just the mentality of working hard. This has been the episode of my life, so that was probably the best one for me.