Choir explores musical styles in “Musings”

Jesuit’s Cantoria Choir performing at their Winter Concert. Photo Courtesy of Dan Falkner.

As flowers begin blooming and spring begins, the Jesuit choir is hard at work preparing for their upcoming spring season. The kick-off event will be the early spring concert, “Musings”, on March 20th. Fusing music from international cultures in step with Jesuit’s recent Social Justice Week, Chamber choir senior Brynn Bourlon reflects on the unique challenges of approaching foreign music.

“Right now we’re… [learning] an indonesian song called Paris Barantai, and it’s a super complicated song so it took us a while to learn the lyrics but it’s definitely paid off and I’m excited for people to see it”, Bourlon said.

“Musings”’ complex blend of culture and language represents a larger shift in the choir department towards an elevated sophistication in music through exploration of different musical styles. In addition to Paris Barantai, the Chamber choir has also been working towards conquering a daunting Latin tune, Vere Languores.

The Chamber choir isn’t the only group to be featured, however. Incorporating the Chamber and Cantoria Choirs, Choir Studio, and the Advanced Vocal Ensemble, “Musings” touts talent that spans both grade and language.

Though this concert is a massive feat in itself, Bourlon is more focused on the upcoming Spring season.

“After spring break, league competitions will begin and that will be a lot of work for all of our choirs,” she said.

Taking place on April 3rd, various levels of choir throughout the 6A league will compete for the opportunity to qualify for State. As veteran choir students like Bourlon prepare to depart for college, this year presents a unique opportunity for Jesuit Choir to rise to the challenge of a state championship, solidifying their impressive legacy of excellence.

“I feel really good about this upcoming season, and I’m proud of everyone in the choir for how hard we’ve been working for this show and everything that will come after,” Bourlon reflected.

Keep up to date with upcoming choir competitions by following @jesuithsmedia on Instagram.