Cox named All American and Oregon Player of the Year

Hudson Rommel
Jesuit senior Abby Cox was named the Oregon Player of the Year in women’s soccer as well as an All American

Oregon player of the year Abby Cox flew to South Carolina this past weekend to play in the All American High School Soccer game.

The Oregonian, which is also Oregon Live, announced their 2023 Girls High School Soccer Player of the Year as Abby Cox on November 28th. The player of the year is not simply from the Metro League or 6A level, but from every school and every level in Oregon.

“I was stoked and so happy to hear that I got the award,” Cox said. “I am still processing being player of the year but am super grateful and very excited for the honor.”

Cox had been recognized not just on a state level, but also nationally, competing in the highest level of high school soccer in the All American game in Charlotte, South Carolina.

“Playing in the All American game is an experience I will never forget,” Cox stated. “It was an honor to play with the best of the best and I am so grateful for the opportunity.”

To become a part of the All American team one must have a cumulative GPA greater than 3.75 through the first semester of their senior year, must have demonstrated recognized excellence on the field, and must have performed community service at any level.

Cox started on the pitch for Team West with 3 other girls from Oregon. Team West ended up losing 3-1, but the experience was so much more than winning or losing for Cox.

Through the Jesuit soccer program, Cox has made a legacy, so neither of these opportunities were huge surprises. She made the varsity team all four years of high school, which is an accomplishment especially at a program like Jesuit’s, and had scored many game winning goals all four years.

“It has been four of the most fun years of my soccer career,” Cox explained. “It was full of many memories, lots of learning, and lifelong friendships.”

Cox is attending Texas Christian University in the fall of 2024 and will continue to further her athletic and academic career playing D1 soccer in the Big 12 conference.