Writing. Photography. Video. The home of Jesuit High School student journalism.

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Jesuit Chronicle

Q&A with new evening security guard Mr. Dominguez

Debi Regasa
Mr. Dominguez is the new evening security guard. Prior to Jesuit, he has had 10 years of experience.

On Wednesday, September 13th, we interviewed Jesuit High School’s new evening security guard, Mr. Dominguez.

Mr. Dominguez has had 10 years of security experience prior to coming to Jesuit. From working in DPI security, to being security for high rise office buildings in downtown Portland.

Before Jesuit, Dominguez was the lead officer for intercom security which is located at the Nike headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon.

“Ensuring the safety and security of the school especially in the afternoon for the events, athletic events in the performing arts center, things like that,” Mr. Dominguez said. ”Make sure everyone’s just safe and goes home safe.”

Dominguez expresses that he already loves the atmosphere at Jesuit. He describes Jesuit as a “family atmosphere.” Having three kids himself, he wants to make sure all the students and staff feel safe and secure. He often feels like a “big parent”.

Dominguez was brave enough to share that he had a massive heart attack a couple years ago while his kids were in the car. This was a very important moment in his life and it made him reflect on how important it is that you make sure your family knows you love them.

“Just always be yourself even if it doesn’t fit in or anything like that. Just always be yourself and never change for anybody or anything. I just think that’s the biggest thing because no matter what, you always find your kind of group or your niche or whatever,” Dominguez said. “So I think this is the biggest piece of advice I can give people.”

Full Interview Script (Lightly edited for clarity)

How long have you been in you feild?
“So, security in general about 10 years, I’ve worked at different companies, guard smart, first response, DPI security, everything from high rise office buildings. I worked in downtown Portland, DHS offices, and also technically assistant at Walmart. But I did do loss prevention too there.”

Where did you work prior to Jesuit?
“Before this, though, I worked for a company called intercom security. And that was actually the Nike Headquarters just down the road. And I did that for about half a year as the lead officer over there for the day shift.”

What are your main responsibilities at Jesuit? “Ensuring the safety and security of the school especially in the afternoon for the events, athletic events, events in the PAC, performing arts, things like that. Make sure everyone’s just safe and goes home safe.”

What excites you about your work at Jesuit?
“I mean, I love the atmosphere. It seems like a family atmosphere. I love making sure kids and faculty feel safe and secure. I think that’s my big takeaway, because I do have three kids myself, so I just feel like a big parent a lot.”

What is something the community should know about you? “Something they should know about me, so not to get too personal, but a couple years ago, I did have a massive heart attack and my kids were in the car when it happened. And then a year later I actually had heart surgery for bypass. So I think just something to know is, hopefully it can just be a testament to just be resilient and just making sure that your loved ones know how much you care about them. And I just think that’s a big thing that I always want to teach people, like you know, whether it’s your mom, dad, brother, sister, anything like that. That’s the biggest thing I want to teach people.”

What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
“Just always be yourself even if it’s doesn’t fit in or anything like that. Just always be yourself and never change for anybody or anything. I just think that’s the biggest thing because no matter what, you always find your kind of group or your niche or whatever. So I think that’s the biggest piece of advice I can give people.”